Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: admin user name and password rejected

Trying to cancel parental control in system prefs, and to unlock I have to enter my admin user name and password, but they keep being rejected.

Help! Any ideas?

My MacBook Pro has OS High Sierra, 10.13.3.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 9, 2018 12:58 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

That didn't solve my problem.

I followed the instructions, then in the Reset Password Utility it asked for my Apple ID and password, then it said they were incorrect .... So followed instructions to change my password for Apple ID, got that done. But it wasn't what I needed!

I still can't unlock the Parental Control window, either with my usual admin password or the new Apple ID password.

Mar 9, 2018 12:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 1:05 PM in response to jakm In response to jakm

Why did you change your Apple ID? It isn't required to change the admin password on your computer. Did you try resetting the password method that does not use your Apple ID? Did you configure macOS to use the Apple ID to change a password? Can you still boot and log in to the computer?

For more help, I would make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Mar 9, 2018 1:05 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 1:19 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

I changed the Apple ID password because that was the only option in the window, other than "exit". I had the forlorn hope that maybe I could use that password to unlock ...

I suppose I could just do complete re-install. Or try an online chat with a "Genius."

Thank you for your suggestions anyway!

Mar 9, 2018 1:19 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 1:26 PM in response to jakm In response to jakm

In change or reset the password of a macOS user accountI found this:

If you don't remember your password, or it isn't working, you might be able to reset it using one of the methods described below. But first try these simpler solutions:

• Make sure that you're typing the correct uppercase or lowercase characters. If your keyboard has Caps Lock turned on, the password field shows a Caps Lock symbol User uploaded file.
  • If the password field shows a question mark, click it to display a password hint that might help you to remember.
  • Try to log in without a password. If that works, you can then add a password by following the steps to change your password.
  • Try to log in with the Apple ID password that you use for iCloud. If you just changed that password and the new password isn't working, try the old password first. If that works, you should be able to use the new password from then on.

Create a new login keychain, if necessary

After resetting your password and logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. Just click the Create New Keychain button in the alert.

If you didn't see an alert about your login keychain, or you see other messages asking for your old password, reset your keychain manually:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu, then click the Reset My Default Keychain button in the preferences window. After you enter your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
    If you don't see a Reset My Default keychain button, close the preferences window and select the “login” keychain from the left side of the Keychain Access window. Press the Delete key, then click Delete References.
  3. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu to return to the login screen.
  4. Log in to your account using your new password. Your account password and login keychain password now match again.

If still no luck they recommend you make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Mar 9, 2018 1:26 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 11:12 PM in response to jakm In response to jakm

Even if you go to recovery mode and try to enter Apple ID and correct password it is rejecting and also you go to appleid.apple.com then sign in it will prompt to enter correct security questions and answer that were created , in your case it is not a keychain issue or login password issue the Apple ID is locked you have to wait for at least twenty four hours and contact in apple support , they will only help you and your questions and answers could be asked on phone itself .

Once the identity is confirmed you can get signed in the user account or Apple ID in recovery mode , also I am a very normal Mac user like yourself in the forum .

See this article If your Apple ID is locked or disabled - Apple Support

Mar 9, 2018 11:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 5:36 AM in response to tygb In response to tygb

Thank you for your suggestions. But it is my admin name and password that are the problem not being accepted, not my Apple ID or keychain, whatever.

Although, just now to come back here, my Apple ID and (new as of last night) password were rejected several times at first. Maybe perseverance is the answer! 😉

Mar 10, 2018 5:36 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 5:50 AM in response to jakm In response to jakm

In users and groups did you deleted yourself admin name and it is changed to standard account and now you have no privileges to your admin account ? or you are in another second account - with different name and password and you are trying with first account name and its password and it is rejecting

First you have to decide what to do , is reinstalling of OS will help and you are prepared to install How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support , did you take views from apple support on phone .

Also I have posted some user tips in Mac OS high Sierra and safari forum if admin password is not accepted in recovery mode , you can read them .

Mar 10, 2018 5:50 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 6:10 AM in response to jakm In response to jakm

Close all applications and shut down the computer , press command , R and power key simultaneously , release only power key and keep on holding command and R key until apple logo appears , the bar starts loading let it be completed .

Select the language as English , go to utilities on top menu bar > Utilities > Terminal execute a command resetpassword and click on enter key .

Window appears , select your admin name it will prompt to enter Apple ID and password .

Once you enter the credentials , two options will be shown ( a ) previous ( b ) next , click on next . Some fields will appear . New password ………. Verify password ………. Password hint ………. Enter your new password in two empty fields and keep password hint as empty ( optional ) . It will again prompt two options ( a ) previous ( b ) next Click on next .

Then it will prompt to restart the computer , so after restarting the machine .Pop - up will appear

The system was unable to unlock your login keychain , if you remember your old password you can update the keychain password .

If you do not remember your old password , you can create a new login keychain or choose to leave the login keychain using a different password .

Would you like to update the password , create a new keychain , or continue the login ?

A window will appear on your desktop .

( a ) continue login .

( b) create new keychain .

( c ) update keychain password .

Click on update keychain password , then log out from your computer .

When you again login in the fields enter your “ admin name “ and “ old admin password “ , so that new password will be updated with login keychain .

Hence , the admin password is changed with the help of “ Recovery mode “ only .

Mar 10, 2018 6:10 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: jakm

Question: admin user name and password rejected