Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speak text that mouse hovers over (after delay)?

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the text under the mouse cursor read aloud? I know there's an option to "speak text under mouse after delay" in Accessibility > VoiceOver Utility, but that requires the rest of the VoiceOver functionality to be enabled, which I don't need.

I'm trying to set up a machine to be used by someone with dyslexia. They have no issues with visuals, so they don't need all the VoiceOver cues with regards to being in a new window, or a check box not being checked, etc., they just need the text read back to them to help them navigate the computer. For example, when they hover over a folder icon on the desktop, have that folder name read to them, etc. This all works with VoiceOver enabled, but again, all of the rest of the audio descriptions that come along with this make it impossible for them to use it.

All we need is the ability for text under the cursor to be read.

There are 3rd party apps that do this, but they cost hundreds of dollars as the "hover" feature is only a small fraction of what these applications do. So, since macOS has this ability within VoiceOver, I'm hoping to find a way to only use this feature.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 1:11 PM

Uhhhh...you read the OP right?

Totally aware of VoiceOver. As I stated in the OP, the problem is, we don't need all of the additional features of VoiceOver—we only need the ability to have text that the mouse cursor hovers over read aloud after a delay. While this is a feature possible with VoiceOver on, the rest of the features associated with VoiceOver, that you can't turn off, are for people with visual impairments and aren't useful for someone with dyslexia (in fact, the make things more difficult).

So, as per the OP—do you know how to turn off all of these additional audio descriptions?

Regards,

Kristin.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Kappy

Uhhhh...you read the OP right?

Totally aware of VoiceOver. As I stated in the OP, the problem is, we don't need all of the additional features of VoiceOver—we only need the ability to have text that the mouse cursor hovers over read aloud after a delay. While this is a feature possible with VoiceOver on, the rest of the features associated with VoiceOver, that you can't turn off, are for people with visual impairments and aren't useful for someone with dyslexia (in fact, the make things more difficult).

So, as per the OP—do you know how to turn off all of these additional audio descriptions?

Regards,

Kristin.

Mar 9, 2018 1:28 PM in response to Kappy

Actually, my first paragraph is pretty clear...

A. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the text under the mouse cursor read aloud?

B. I know there's an option to "speak text under mouse after delay" in Accessibility > VoiceOver Utility, but that requires the rest of the VoiceOver functionality to be enabled, which I don't need.

That alone is pretty darned clear.

And then I explain what's wrong with the VoiceOver Utility feature, as it is, and why it's not the best solution.

And then all you do is point me to enabling VoiceOver Utility. So, yeah...kinda annoying because it's obvious you didn't actually read the OP.

Mar 9, 2018 1:21 PM in response to kristin.

As it is implemented in macOS the feature is what it is. If you don't find that to your liking then you will need to find a third-party alternative.

Try reading your OP as you wrote it but imagine that you have no way of knowing what the person means because there is more than one interpretation. Consider the fact that you assumed I might know what problems may exist for dyslexics. Or that the reader may, in fact, be familiar with using VoiceOver for dyslexic users. Obviously, I am not. I informed you of what I knew regarding voice over. I think there was no need for that somewhat snide opening sentence, Kristen. It was a little condescending.

Speak text that mouse hovers over (after delay)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.