Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mail Failure on iMac Sierra 10.13.3

I am completely frustrated.

Mail will not connect to any of my accounts whether it be gmail, aol, or iCloud.

The only thing different from when it did is a new router but that worked fine for days after it was installed.

I have deleted the accounts and then tried to put them in again. I add the account and I am asked for the apps with which I want the account(s) associated. I then click the "DONE" box and absolutely nothing happens. And, yes, I tried to open a completely new account with the same result.

Mail continues to work on my iPhone and iPad.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 7, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Zdriller In response to Zdriller

I think I understand what your describing.

I sort of had this problem and found it better to add email account inside the "Mail App, Mail-> Add Accounts" itself which is much easier to do, not from "system preferences -> Internet Accounts".

Also after you have setup "Mail app", click on Windows->"Connectivity Doctor". You should see the tests for your accounts with seperate "inbound test" (imap or pop3) and "outbound test" (smtp), for each account you set up. If successful the status should be "Green" also note the detail column, plus Mail App connectivity doctor has other features you can drill down to see what is going on to help you diagnose further yourself.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 7, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Zdriller In response to Zdriller

I think I understand what your describing.

I sort of had this problem and found it better to add email account inside the "Mail App, Mail-> Add Accounts" itself which is much easier to do, not from "system preferences -> Internet Accounts".

Also after you have setup "Mail app", click on Windows->"Connectivity Doctor". You should see the tests for your accounts with seperate "inbound test" (imap or pop3) and "outbound test" (smtp), for each account you set up. If successful the status should be "Green" also note the detail column, plus Mail App connectivity doctor has other features you can drill down to see what is going on to help you diagnose further yourself.

Apr 7, 2018 8:12 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 9, 2018 2:23 PM in response to Zdriller In response to Zdriller

One more note I forgot to mention, when looking at your email accounts look in Mail App under Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts, select any account and click on "server settings". You can view/edit your existing full email account "server settings" much easier this way

Mar 9, 2018 2:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 2:54 PM in response to Zdriller In response to Zdriller

Thank you for your reply.

This did not work either. As suggested I did: Mail --> Add Accounts --> Google--> Email address ---> Apps OK for gmail to use ---> <DONE> and then NOTHING at all happens simply a screen doing nothing. Am I not waiting long enough? I should think a couple minutes is enough.

Should I delete the Mail.app? But I'll only do that if I can find one to install. This is pretty weird in that Mail on both the iPhone and iPad are working just fine.

Mar 9, 2018 2:54 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Zdriller

Question: Mail Failure on iMac Sierra 10.13.3