Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why not use .me or .icloud address for general address

I rarely see the .me or .icloud address. Is there a disadvantage to using it for my general address? Is there an advantage? I've been using my ISP address (currently .centurylink.net) but that changes every 4-5 years and it's a real pain to go through all my places of interest and change the address. Are there disadvantages/advantages to using a google or yahoo address?

The address changes periodically because I'm in a rural area and ISPs don't treat us favorably. I just dropped satellite ISP because of a data cap.

thanks

Geoff

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), iMac late '09

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 12:22 PM

I would probably go with the Google, AOL, or Yahoo option rather than the iCloud option in case someone discovers your Apple ID and starts trying to hack the account. Once set to the iCloud address, it can't be changed to 'hide' your account. The 3rd party e-mails would allow you to change your Apple ID so a hacker would no longer know your address.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 12:22 PM in response to Geoff K

I would probably go with the Google, AOL, or Yahoo option rather than the iCloud option in case someone discovers your Apple ID and starts trying to hack the account. Once set to the iCloud address, it can't be changed to 'hide' your account. The 3rd party e-mails would allow you to change your Apple ID so a hacker would no longer know your address.

why not use .me or .icloud address for general address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.