Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Spotlight Search

Is there a way to get Spotlight Search to locate a file for you? It's all well and good that it brings up the document you are looking for...but it doesn't tell you where it's actually located! To do that, I have to do a Spotlight Search, locate the file; make a note of the name of the file; and then go back to Finder and type that in to find where it's currently filed. Isn't there a way to make the Spotlight Search take out that extra step, so once I locate it in Spotlight I can see where it's located?

Thanks

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Did you try double-clicking on the file in Spotlight? That will open it for you.

You can also search using Finder search and if you have the Path Bar showing it's path will be shown when you click on the file.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Apple Recommended

Mar 9, 2018 4:34 PM in response to lj2585 In response to lj2585

Did you try double-clicking on the file in Spotlight? That will open it for you.

You can also search using Finder search and if you have the Path Bar showing it's path will be shown when you click on the file.

Mar 9, 2018 4:34 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 5:26 PM in response to lj2585 In response to lj2585

When Spotlight shows you a file in its results, click once to select that entry, and then press the command key to see the path to the file. If you press ⌘-R it will open a new Finder window with that document selected.

Mar 9, 2018 5:26 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: lj2585

Question: Spotlight Search