Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Disappearing Notes and Annotations in Preview

Yesterday, I annotated a PDF with notes in the little yellow boxes. Today I am unable to see these notes. When I click View, Highlights and Notes, only the small yellow boxes are visible but not the text inside them. Any thoughts of how I can view these notes?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 9, 2018 4:12 PM in response to DianeWF In response to DianeWF

If you make any change to any PDF, I have found that it is best to purposely use the File menu > Save every time you make a change or else it magically disappears. So, if you did not save it (even before you move on to the next page), then I'd assume they're gone.

Mar 9, 2018 4:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 5:14 PM in response to DianeWF In response to DianeWF

DianeWF wrote:

Yesterday, I annotated a PDF with notes in the little yellow boxes. Today I am unable to see these notes. When I click View, Highlights and Notes, only the small yellow boxes are visible but not the text inside them. Any thoughts of how I can view these notes?

Did you dbl-click on the "yellow boxes"?

Mar 9, 2018 5:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 4, 2018 6:49 AM in response to DianeWF In response to DianeWF

Hi Diane,

I found the same issue, and for me it seemed to be related to having the highlight function 'on'/'selected' (little pen icon). Once I'd unselected that, I was able to double click on the yellow boxes and have the note's contents appear. It doesn't seem to be the case with other markup tools. Hope that helps!

Apr 4, 2018 6:49 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: DianeWF

Question: Disappearing Notes and Annotations in Preview