Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes on a PDF disappeared

I have been making notes on a PDF for one of my classes - and about two weeks work disappeared. I had saved everything properly etc. - any ideas how to fix it?

• some of my notes are still there - some (older ones) have gone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 4:36 AM

It would be unusual for Preview to lose annotation content as it autosaves every change to the originally opened PDF — unless the autosave capability was manually blocked in System Preferences : General. Unlike Pages, it does not feature a Revert To option to recover past changes.

Use your Time Machine Restore capability (Dock : Launchpad : Other : Time Machine) to search backwards in time for this PDF, inspecting the PDF with Quick Look to determine the maximum annotation recovery timeframe, and then select Restore.

Without Time Machine, saving copies of this PDF to alternate storage, or recovering the PDF that you may have shared with others, there is no recovery process for lost annotations in a given PDF.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 4:36 AM in response to jacob_hartley

It would be unusual for Preview to lose annotation content as it autosaves every change to the originally opened PDF — unless the autosave capability was manually blocked in System Preferences : General. Unlike Pages, it does not feature a Revert To option to recover past changes.

Use your Time Machine Restore capability (Dock : Launchpad : Other : Time Machine) to search backwards in time for this PDF, inspecting the PDF with Quick Look to determine the maximum annotation recovery timeframe, and then select Restore.

Without Time Machine, saving copies of this PDF to alternate storage, or recovering the PDF that you may have shared with others, there is no recovery process for lost annotations in a given PDF.

Notes on a PDF disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.