Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Showing inbox subfolders in apple mail

I have several sub-folders that i would like to appear under the "inbox" in apple mail. When I create a new mailbox it will create the folder but move it to the very bottom of the sidebar, and does not add it under the Inbox. I am able to create sub-sub folders (folders inside my existing subfolders), but cannot create new subfolders.

I have spent a bit of time searching through the boards and online and have not found anything that directly addresses this issue.

Host: Office 365 Exchange

Mail App: Version 11.2

Machine: MacBook Pro Retina (Early 2015)

Thank you!

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 1:51 AM

11 replies

Mar 10, 2018 6:04 AM in response to daav2001

You wrote - When I create a new mailbox it will create the folder but move it to the very bottom of the sidebar, and does not add it under the Inbox.

They will be created under on my Mac section .

User uploaded file

And if you try to create the mail box and its subfolders in the main inbox of web mail account it is not " possible " the IMAP account is designed in such a manner and apple engineers have the answer for it you can send a brief feedback a link Product Feedback - Apple

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2018 2:01 AM in response to dialabrain

The individual accounts show up first under "inbox", but under those are the subfolders. It is in that section that I'd like the folders to appear. I was able to create those in the past but am not sure how to create them now. I'm not sure what the change is, but perhaps it was when I updated to High Sierra... but I'm not sure.

Mar 10, 2018 7:53 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I use my inbox as my 'to do' list. Once it's dealt with it's moved to whatever folder it belongs in. I used to be one of the people with thousands of emails piling up in the inbox... don't know how I lived that way.

So I can definitely see there isn't an apparent way to create these types of subfolders... but clearly they are somehow able to be created (as i already have several). One interesting thing is if i create a sub folder within one of the sub-folders under my inbox, that new sub subfolder is created correctly and appears in the correct place.

Even though I'm probably not going to find a way to create these folders as i hope, I am still really curious to know what changed; how I was able to create them before but cannot now.

Showing inbox subfolders in apple mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.