Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create subfolder UNDER inbox in mail in High Sierra

Someone else posted a question about this but the answer was not entirely correct.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2628011

Naming the path Inbox/new folder or inbox/new folder does not work. It will put the folder and it's subfolder in the lower section of mail and not under the inbox. To get this to work you have to capatilize INBOX

INBOX/newfolder

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 8, 2018 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2018 4:47 PM

I can't remember where I saw it but I believe creating sub-folders inside the Inbox is strongly discouraged.

This is supported by the fact that Apple Mail does not allow doing this without using the aforementioned workaround.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 8, 2018 9:47 PM in response to sertão

Actually there seems to be a bug in this process. This use to work but in High Sierra (I'm using 10.13.6) this seems to be broke.

If you do what I state above then it will work for some time but if you quit and open mail you will either see the folders under your inbox or they will appear below where outside inbox folders are kept. It doesn't remain as a subfolder of inbox like it should. Even worse is the folders you create don't always remain. Sometimes they completely dissapear, or if you rename them, they will revert to their original name.

I'm using dreamhost.com if that matters.

Create subfolder UNDER inbox in mail in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.