Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can the 'Hosts' here view my IP address?

By 'Hosts' I mean the moderators who, I understand, are paid employees of Apple.

Regards,

D.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 27 inch - Purchased January 2018

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 8:54 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

Any website you visit has access to your IP address as its used to return any requests made to the website.

One can assume the forum software registers the IPs of every login to the website. Whether a host can personally see this directly at any given time is unknown, but if required I’m fairly sure your IP address can be obtained from the database with minimal effort.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 10, 2018 8:33 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

I have no idea if they can personally see it; this is not a question to ask of other users as we would not know. You would need to get in touch with Apple. However, everyone knows that any website you visit can see certain info including your OS, etc.

Mar 10, 2018 8:33 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 8:54 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

Any website you visit has access to your IP address as its used to return any requests made to the website.

One can assume the forum software registers the IPs of every login to the website. Whether a host can personally see this directly at any given time is unknown, but if required I’m fairly sure your IP address can be obtained from the database with minimal effort.

Mar 10, 2018 8:54 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 10, 2018 9:00 AM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Thanks, Phil0124 🙂

I've been wondering if the 'hard time' I've been having here has had something to do with the fact that I've been paying for, and using, a VPN!

It seems that everything needs to be kept somewhat secretive here. Shame. 😕

I think it would be a good idea for contributors to have a Private Message facility to 'talk' to Apple employees directly.

Mar 10, 2018 9:00 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 9:08 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

What kind of "hard time" are you having?

If you're having difficulty accessing content in the app or iTunes store serving a country other than yours and you are attempting to use a VPN to circumvent the geographic restrictions, that's both a violation of the Terms of Use and potentially copyright law.

VPN services are often used by people with less than honest intentions in order to hide the source of their activities. The end-points for those VPN services often make it onto security blacklists, meaning you may have difficulty getting or maintaining a connection to many sites.

Mar 10, 2018 9:08 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 9:23 AM in response to KiltedTim In response to KiltedTim

The Moderators - our 'Hosts' - have been deleting my posts.

I understand that that is their prerogative and that there is nothing I can do about it. 😠

I'm referring ONLY to messages on these Apple Communities forums.

I have no problems elsewhere on-line.

Mar 10, 2018 9:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 9:27 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

The variety of posts I have seen could fall under several criteria for deletion by the mods? Polling? Asking questions regarding other (non Apple products), disagreeing with any and all that post to your thread, trolling? Take your pick as to which criteria you think it falls under.

Mar 10, 2018 9:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 11:08 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

Using a VPN would in no way remotely have anything to do with post deletion.

Post deletion as has been explained has to do with your posts specifically. Whether or not they adhere to the rules and terms for these forums. Most of your recent ones have not really been adhering to the Terms.

The ones that have been adhering to them are still there.

Mar 10, 2018 11:08 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 11:42 AM in response to Phil0124 In response to Phil0124

Many thanks, Phil0124.

Tell me, if YOU wanted to find out how many 'advisers' on this forum use an Anti-Malware software programme, how would YOU couch such a question so that the Moderators wouldn't rescind the query?

FWIW, I am not going to put AV software on this new machine!

Mar 10, 2018 11:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 10, 2018 11:54 AM in response to HunterBD In response to HunterBD

how would YOU couch such a question so that the Moderators wouldn't rescind the query?

So you want to know how to run a poll without it looking like a poll? I simply wouldn't ask the question because the answer has no value.

Mar 10, 2018 11:54 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: HunterBD

Question: Can the 'Hosts' here view my IP address?