Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview isn't working. keeps on getting hang

How to solve this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 7:01 AM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2018 7:37 AM in response to helpelsie

First of all use https://etrecheck.com/

And observe by your own what apps , unidentified softwares , any types of cleaners or anti virus are installed and causing trouble in Mac , if in case they are installed uninstall them .

Then create a new user account , and verify is preview app working normally see this article How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 11, 2018 7:05 AM in response to helpelsie

Hi helpelsie,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. It looks like no one has responded yet to your question. If you could provide the following information, it may help the community respond:

1. Can you provide a bit more detail about exactly what is happening? What are you trying to open in Preview? Does this happen with all files, or just certain ones? Does Preview hang if you launch it on its own (without opening a file)?

2. What is the exact screen that you see when it hangs? Can you describe what you are seeing? Are there any alerts or error messages? Does it hang on that screen, or does it quit/close after a while?

3. How long has this been going on? Was it working successfully previously? If so, has anything changed recently (new network location, new app or OS update, etc)?

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2018 4:15 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi

This started since a month or so. I'm using Preview mainly for reading PDF books. It was working perfectly previously. Whenever I tried to use the index search , the screen hangs immediately or sometimes after a few search. I noticed my mac vent fan activated almost immediately and I had to force quit the app because the battery ran out very fast. I think it started after updating the IOS. one of my colleague is facing the same problem. hope something can be done.

Preview isn't working. keeps on getting hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.