Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule is less than 10 months old, why does my time capsule make loud screeching noise every 5-10 min for as long as 30-45 seconds?

My 2TB Airport Time Capsule is less than 10 months old, why does my time capsule make loud screeching noise every 5-10 min for as long as 30-45 seconds?

Apple Watch

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 5:46 PM

2 replies

Mar 10, 2018 5:54 PM in response to Oldman2

Faulty fan is the most likely.

Faulty hard disk is possible but much less likely.

Overheat trip from a faulty sensor.. which causes the fan to scream at high speed.. over 5000rpm.. whereas it normally runs at 1500 and can be barely heard. This will give an error overheat message if it happens.

Record a video on your phone of the noise.. then simply get it replaced.. you are well inside warranty period anywhere in the world. The build quality on the TC is less than spectacular. So you might decide the replacement (usually a refurbish) should be disposed of ASAP.

Copy anything you need or want to keep on the TC to another drive.. right now.. because it could be pointing to a major breakdown.

Airport Time Capsule is less than 10 months old, why does my time capsule make loud screeching noise every 5-10 min for as long as 30-45 seconds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.