Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X won't pair with 2012 Mazda 3

My new iPhone X won't pair with my 2012 Mazda 3. It won't even recognise the car. My iPhone 6s paired easily. I have tried disabling the bluetooth, waiting and then enabling but to no avail. I have turned the phone off and turned it back on but it still does not recognise the car. I have made sure that I am far away from the wireless so there is no interference.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Any solutions?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 10:06 PM

3 replies

Mar 11, 2018 3:15 PM in response to KathN

Hello KathN,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about connecting your iPhone X to your 2012 Mazda 3. I am happy to offer some things to check.

You mention that you use Bluetooth connection. Is this with a Mazda or the stereo manufacturer connection? I ask because Mazda is not listed as an option for CarPlay here: Apple - CarPlay

Also since you mentioned the Bluetooth connection, this article has troubleshooting to check: Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo

It covers Bluetooth connections, as well as some other options. It also mentions that the stereo may need an update to work with the newer device or iOS version stating:

6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Mar 13, 2018 6:20 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks MoonJ for your feedback.

I had already checked out the troubleshooting article that you suggested and the advice offered did not work.

I have come to a similar conclusion as you. I believe that my car's stereo needs updating. My next step is to contact Mazda to see if other car owners are experiencing similar problems. Hopefully they will have a solution for me.

Apr 9, 2018 9:28 PM in response to KathN

Hi Kath,

I too have the same problem with the iPhone X in my 2012 Mazda 3 MPS since December, however mine will connect, allowing me to play music and take calls, but the connection will sporadically drop out and reconnect every few minutes (or seconds). No iOS updates have resolved it, and my $1500 phone needs to use an AUX cable.

I've taken it to an official Mazda service shop, and they had no problems connecting it to an iPhone 7 (iOS11). I also have no problem connecting it to my iPhone 6.

2012 Mazda's use Bluetooth v1.0, whereas the new iPhone have (for the first time) Bluetooth v5.0. Apple does not communicate this incompatibility issue to their customers before purchase, which is disgusting and a big problem.

The fact that our devices CAN connect and work, means it is software related, which Apple should be able to fix. There are no Mazda firmware updates available – which clearly aren't the problem anyway since they still work will all other Apple devices. iPhone X's should be able to communicate to ALL versions of Bluetooth, without their customers having to spend another $1000 for an aftermarket Apple Carplay system for their cars.

Fix your software Apple.

iPhone X won't pair with 2012 Mazda 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.