Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.
I understand that when reading an article in the News app that includes a list within the article, every point is listed as #1. I have some troubleshooting for you to try.
First, close the News app and restart your iPhone to see if that helps.
How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If you still have an issue after that, you can delete the News app on your iPhone, and then reinstall a fresh copy from the App Store.
Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 11 device or Apple Watch
Delete a built-in app from your device
- On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
- Tap on the app, then tap Delete.
- Press the Home button to finish.
If you have an Apple Watch, deleting an app from your iPhone also deletes that app from your Apple Watch.
Restore a built-in app that you deleted
- On your iOS device, go to the App Store.
- Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
- Tap to restore the app.
- Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.
If you have an Apple Watch, restoring an app to your iPhone also restores that app to your Apple Watch.
Let me know if this helps.