Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed Sync of iCloud photos to Macbook

Sync of my private photos and shared albums photos stored in iCloud (app 100gb) to my MacBook starts normally but stops after partial completion & some time. Max volume reached in different attempts 10 Gb of 100Gb. Sync does not continue even after many restarts, installing high Sierra completely new on a clean newly formatted system disk and restarting again from scratch after that (three tries so far with this procedure). The point to which the sync continues during the different attempts was always differently. 1 - 10 gb of 100gb. Hence I suspect it is not a specific photo or video that causes the problem.

There are several posts with similar issues and some resolution methods, but non worked in my case. IS IT A KNOWN AND STILL UNRESOLVED ISSUE ?

Had a Genius Bar appointment yesterday where no fix could be found. Upon their recommendation had a 1 hr session with the AppleCare support hotline today and them logging onto my MacBook and checking all settings, creating a new Photos library (which the apple store had done as well) and not finding an answer neither. Upon their recommendation I write this post.

The iCloud photos sync works very fine on my iPhones & iPad Pro and as well in the safari browser on my MacBook. But not the syncing in the PHOTOs APP.

The Person on the support hotline was surprised to not find a status bar in the PHOTOS after activation in the iCloud window where iCloud for Photos is switched on. see attached pictures.

When the process starts normally by opening the INFO window (see screenshot 2 & 3 as well, here it stopped after 3681 photos and 4,63gb od the 100gb total ) one can see the progress until the moment it stops. It requires opening and closing and reopening the Info Window, as it does not refresh by itself while open.

In summary all the Solutions tried so far by myself, Apple store Vienna & the Support hotline, which did not work:

1. Switching iCloud for Photos and overall ON and OFF
  2. Creating a new PHOTOS Library (with OPTION held while clicking PHOTOS icon) and the using that library
  3. Repairing the PHOTOS library by holding OPTION & CMD while clicking the PHOTOs ICON
  4. Reinstalling High Sierra from scratch on a freshly formatted disk and retrying 1-3 several times.

All attempts with Internet speeds of w app 70 Gbit has been confirmed and router reset has been tried as well + attempts in apple store with WIFI there.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 2:05 PM

What is the status and is it changing at all if your Mac is awake and powered for a day? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205409

To check for specific problem photos Make two new smart albums (file menu ==> new smart album)

1 - Photo - is - referenced

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library

Both should be empty, are they?

LN

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2018 2:05 PM in response to hannesfromwien

What is the status and is it changing at all if your Mac is awake and powered for a day? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205409

To check for specific problem photos Make two new smart albums (file menu ==> new smart album)

1 - Photo - is - referenced

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library

Both should be empty, are they?

LN

Mar 11, 2018 3:05 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry, learned a lot more how the PHOTO app works from your post, + got real progress for the first time: after creating the two smart folders you suggested (empty so far), it all of a sudden started to download again... for the first time it downloads my own pictures as well, + shows a status below as in the post you linked. since its 100gb it will be a while to see if it goes to the end.

before I could not get to get to the PHOTOs status bar info at the bottom as described in the link. the „Photos“ remained greyed out. no actual photos of mine - which are not inside a shared album - had ever been uploaded in the attempts. It always started sync with the shared albums and then just hung after some time. It did show all shared albums but many remained without any photos in them. Hence all the elements on top of the page: photos, shared, albums etc remained greyed out. see screenshot:

User uploaded file

now as hey are continue to fill and can be selected.

created the smart folders as you suggested, they are empty after app. 15% download, no photos come up with the criteria & the folders stay empty. Looks to me that this only scans the photos downloaded and not all the ones in icloud. I suspect if there would be „culprit photos“ these would remain in icloud and not download. If so, they would not show up with this method + the one filter is about Uploading photos. so far I am only DOWNloading !?

appreciate any further hints.... with your hint I got it going, without me being able to explain what triggered it exactly. can you ? ... will provide feedback if it continues with all of the 100gb to the end. but that will take the better part of a full day at the current speed, which is not so bad for this volume of photos,

greetings

Hannes

Failed Sync of iCloud photos to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.