Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac and iPad iCloud and iTunes photo syncs question

Random question...my mac has my entire photo library on it (full resolution), and that library is synched with iCloud photos. I have an iPad with a ton of storage and I would like to put my 30GB photo library on it. I realize that I can turn on iCloud photos and synch it over the internet. Can I synch my ipad with my mac (iCloud photos is turned on on my mac), synch all of the full res photos, disconnect and then turn on iCloud photos on the iPad. Anyone do this?

Macbook, N/A

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 2:55 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 11, 2018 6:19 PM in response to erikras

No. Unless it has changed very recently, the very first thing that will happen if you turn on iCloud Photo Library on a device that contains photos that have been synced to it via iTunes is that you will get a warning that photos will be deleted from that device.

This is stated (although not quite as clearly as I think it should be) in a section discussing "missing" photos, in the excerpt below from Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Any photos or videos you copy to your device through iTunes are not copied in iCloud Photo Library.

Mar 11, 2018 3:05 PM in response to freddedotme

freddedotme wrote:

He has them synced to iCloud though.

I understand that he has photos on his Mac already synced to iCloud and wants to 1) sync them to his iPad directly from his Mac (via iTunes) and then 2) turn on iCloud Photo Library on the iPad. I'm guessing he thinks that might be faster than just turning on iCloud Photo Library on the iPad and letting them sync via iCloud.

If that is what he is trying to do (and I could be misinterpreting), after he syncs the photos to the iPad via iTunes and then turns on iCloud Photo Library on the iPad, the photos synced via iTunes will be deleted and then iCloud photos will be synced. All of the correct photos will end up on both devices but not in the way I think he plans.

Mac and iPad iCloud and iTunes photo syncs question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.