Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do photos have to sync every time i turn on and off icloud

I recently bought a Mac book so I decided to turn on my photo sync to iCloud from my phone. I have the largest capacity iPhone X so all my photos have been stored on the phone itself. I wanted to be able to se the photos on my new Mac and then back them up to my personal server. I had 5000 photos that uploaded to iCloud. It took HOURS! But they all finally showed up via iCloud on my Mac. Now I realized that keeping this feature on was draining the crap out of my iPhone battery. So I figured I’d just turn the iPhone iCloud photo backup off and periodically turn it back on to sync the new photos with the iCloud. I went to do that today, sync some 50 photos I had taken since my first sync. My phone is telling me that I have to sync all 5000+ photos and videos again!! Why?? If they are already in the cloud, why isn’t my phone just uploading the new content?

Posted on Mar 11, 2018 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 8:09 AM

I think that you may be a bit confused about the purpose of the iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library is designed to keep all iOS devices and Macs that are signed into the same iCloud account, and which have iCloud Photo Library turned on, continuously sync'd. So, that any change made at any time would be automatically sync'd across all devices immediately.

So, iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service, not an archival one.

In order to accomplish what you have described, it would be far easier to import your photos from your iPhone to your Mac. You can do this in a number of ways, but the easiest way is to physically hook up the device to the Mac, and import them photos to the Photos app:

PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC

You can also set up Photo Stream on both the iPhone and the Mac, and all new photos will automatically upload and import into your Photos Library on the Mac. Videos still have to be imported manually, but photos automatically import when you have a Wifi connection on the Mac and the iPhone.

You can then back up your Photos Library on your Mac using Time Machine, or by copying it to an external drive manually.

Here are some links to articles about iCloud Photo Library that also may help you get a better idea of how it works:

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library - Photos Help

I, personally, do not use iCloud Photo Library. I let my photos automatically import via Photo Stream to my Photos Library on my Mac, I sometimes create shared albums to send to my Mac via iCloud Photo Sharing: iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support, and then I import my videos on a regular basis.

I also back up my Mac Photos Library using Time Machine.

Cheers,

GB

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 8:09 AM in response to Mkhufton

I think that you may be a bit confused about the purpose of the iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library is designed to keep all iOS devices and Macs that are signed into the same iCloud account, and which have iCloud Photo Library turned on, continuously sync'd. So, that any change made at any time would be automatically sync'd across all devices immediately.

So, iCloud Photo Library is a syncing service, not an archival one.

In order to accomplish what you have described, it would be far easier to import your photos from your iPhone to your Mac. You can do this in a number of ways, but the easiest way is to physically hook up the device to the Mac, and import them photos to the Photos app:

PHOTO IMPORT IOS TO MAC/PC

You can also set up Photo Stream on both the iPhone and the Mac, and all new photos will automatically upload and import into your Photos Library on the Mac. Videos still have to be imported manually, but photos automatically import when you have a Wifi connection on the Mac and the iPhone.

You can then back up your Photos Library on your Mac using Time Machine, or by copying it to an external drive manually.

Here are some links to articles about iCloud Photo Library that also may help you get a better idea of how it works:

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library - Photos Help

I, personally, do not use iCloud Photo Library. I let my photos automatically import via Photo Stream to my Photos Library on my Mac, I sometimes create shared albums to send to my Mac via iCloud Photo Sharing: iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support, and then I import my videos on a regular basis.

I also back up my Mac Photos Library using Time Machine.

Cheers,

GB

why do photos have to sync every time i turn on and off icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.