Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i reset my keychain password (forgot it)?

I installed an app in November and did so successfully. I am trying to install new apps and I type in the keychain password but it says it is incorrect. How can I reset it? Do I need to backup my conputer? If so, how? I am sorry, but i dont understand much about computers. I just use it for school and I really need to install apps for school! Please help!

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 9:39 AM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2018 10:00 AM in response to Rita018

You do not need to use the keychain to install new apps. If an app's installer requests a password you use your account's Admin password. When you log onto the computer you use that password, and that password also opens your keychain unless you have changed your keychain's password (not a good idea.) Keychains can only be edited using Keychain Access in the Utilities’ folder. You could also ask someone with more computer savvy than you.

Basic Backup

For some people, Time Machine will be more than adequate. Time Machine is part of OS X. There are three components:

1. A Time Machine preferences panel as part of System Preferences;
  2. The Time Machine application located in the Applications folder. It is used to manage backups and to restore backups.
  3. Time Machine requires a backup drive that is at least 2-3 times the capacity of the drive(s) it backs up.

To use Time Machine you will need a separate backup drive formatted to use HFS+. This can be an HDD because speed is not that important for backups. The backup drive needs to be at least 2-3 times the size of the source drive. For a 250GB SSD, I would recommend a 1TB backup drive. These aren't too expensive. Visit OWC to see what your options are.

Your SSD can be formatted to use APFS, but Time Machine will not work with that format and should be formatted Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

Backups should always be made on a dedicated drive. If you have extra storage needs, then those also should be made on a separate drive. The Startup Drive should not be used for anything more than a startup drive.

Alternatively, get an external drive at least equal in size to the internal hard drive and make (and maintain) a bootable clone/backup. You can make a bootable clone using the Restore option of Disk Utility. You can also make and maintain clones with good backup software. My personal recommendations are (order is not significant):

1. Carbon Copy Cloner
  2. Get Backup
  3. Deja Vu
  4. SuperDuper!

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also, read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files. For help with using Time Machine visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with all things Time Machine.

Although you can buy a complete external drive system, you can also put one together if you are so inclined. It's relatively easy and only requires a Phillips head screwdriver (typically.) You can purchase hard drives separately. This gives you an opportunity to shop for the best prices on a hard drive of your choice. Reliable brands include Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital, Toshiba, and Fujitsu. You can find reviews and benchmarks on many drives at Storage Review.

Enclosures for FireWire and USB are readily available. You can find only FireWire enclosures, only USB enclosures, and enclosures that feature multiple ports. I would stress getting enclosures that use the Oxford chipsets especially for Firewire drives (911, 921, 922, for example.) You can find enclosures at places such as:

1. Cool Drives
  2. OWC
  3. WiebeTech
  4. Firewire Direct
  5. California Drives
  6. NewEgg

All you need do is remove a case cover, mount the hard drive in the enclosure and connect the cables, then re-attach the case cover. Usually, the only tool required is a small or medium Phillips screwdriver.

Mar 16, 2018 10:15 PM in response to Rita018

You wrote -

If you have forgotten the admin password completely but you have iCloud verification code, all details of Apple ID , iCloud ID , webmail ID and respective passwords , base station or wireless network password for air port utility in records .

Shut down the system through apple logo , press command , R and power key simultaneously , release the keys when apple logo appears , the bar starts loading let it be completed , select the language as English .

Take cursor on top menu bar > click on utilities > click on terminal in the terminal window execute a command resetpassword and click on enter key .

A window appears , select your admin name , enter the password for Apple ID .

Two options will be shown ( a ) previous ( b) next , click on next

Select your user account , you have to press forcefully on the trackpad to get it selected .

Some fields will appear .

New password ……

Verify password ……

Hint ……

Fill up the credentials ( enter a new password ) and click on next then you have to click on restart .

The Mac will restart but you will see pop ups as this Mac can’t connect to iCloud because a problem with your mail address open iCloud preferences for problem.

You will see two options ( a ) Later ( b) iCloud preferences

And on the top right corner web mail ( could be gmail ) pop up will be there stating google password required enter your password for gmail address and showing close and continue .

Open system preferences > click on iCloud you will see the box for keychain is unchecked, so check mark the box a small pop - up will come on the screen after a while to enter iCloud verification code so enter it .

Make sure your trusted mobile is opened , after a while six digit code will come through sms on the mobile .Enter the six digit code on the next pop up .

You will see iCloud Keychain is setting up and a small circle is rotating the box for keychain is configured with iCloud server .

Now , on the top right corner of the desktop a google pop up is showing , click on continue a window will appear enter your gmail password so that is also configured .

Open airport utility through spotlight , click on base station you will see that password is empty , click on edit a pop up window will appear enter the base station or wireless network password .

Keep the box checked for remember this password in my keychain .

The settings will go to default .

Open safari and you have to reset the homepage once again ( open safari preferences click on General , enter the search engine link and take cursor on history > click on home and close safari window , a pop up window will appear change home page , click on it ) .

Lastly shut down the system when login window appears you can enter admin name and " new password " in the fields .

Note : If you enter in user library ( click on finder Go > hold option key and click on library ) > Find a folder keychains you will see login keychain is renamed and its a confirmation that login password has been changed and always be careful once login password is changed don’t delete login_rename …Keychain-db or previous login.Keychain-db from user library > keychain folder , if it is deleted the keychain application will be corrupted .

And then another query that is asked - I am trying to install new apps and I type in the keychain password but it says it is incorrect. How can I reset it?

See these articles Keychain for Mac: If an altered app asks for access to your keychain

Keychain for Mac: If an app changes

And , then you need to take back up - its your choice , in case if you feel its essential see this article How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.