Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White box outline around everything you touch

My iPad is a day old and is locked. I can’t put in my password. A white box out lines whatever I touch but won’t let me put in a passcode and it won’t let me slide the power button off. I have held down the power button and the Apple logo has come up but same problem

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 3:56 PM

If you turn the volume up does it also say what you are tapping ? If it does you have VoiceOver (one of the accessibility features) 'on'. Try triple-clicking the home button and see if that turns it off, and if it does you can then change what a triple-click does via Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut (or Triple-Click Home depending upon the iOS version).

If that doesn't turn it off you can either turn it off directly on the iPad (you need to use a tap-to-select and then double-tap to activate/type process and 3 fingered scrolling ; so to type a digit of your passcode tap the digit to select it and then double-tap it to type the digit) to go into Settings > General > Accessibility and turn VoiceOver 'off', or you can do it by connecting to your computer's iTunes (after typing in your passcode via the tap/double-tap process) : https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204390

Or if you have Siri enabled you could try using that to tell the iPad to turn VoiceOver 'off'

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Tlcbyg

If you turn the volume up does it also say what you are tapping ? If it does you have VoiceOver (one of the accessibility features) 'on'. Try triple-clicking the home button and see if that turns it off, and if it does you can then change what a triple-click does via Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut (or Triple-Click Home depending upon the iOS version).

If that doesn't turn it off you can either turn it off directly on the iPad (you need to use a tap-to-select and then double-tap to activate/type process and 3 fingered scrolling ; so to type a digit of your passcode tap the digit to select it and then double-tap it to type the digit) to go into Settings > General > Accessibility and turn VoiceOver 'off', or you can do it by connecting to your computer's iTunes (after typing in your passcode via the tap/double-tap process) : https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204390

Or if you have Siri enabled you could try using that to tell the iPad to turn VoiceOver 'off'

White box outline around everything you touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.