Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Check all of your Apple IDs?

Hi 😕

I was surprised to read that at this link:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201382. (Item 3)

I've been using Apple products for many years now and have only ever had one Apple ID.

Why would anyone need MORE than one?

I've not considered this matter before. Am I simply naive?

D.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 27 inch - Purchased January 2018

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 12:38 AM

I suspect it's for a variety of reasons beginning with folks creating an ID years ago for an iPod perhaps then forgetting their username or password when they bought a Mac later or believing somehow multiple IDs on any single device might somehow be more secure, etc. without realizing it offers nothing but pain and suffering down the road when they can't remember what device (or which service on any give device) uses which ID or worse yet, shared one of those IDs with a now-ex-spouse.

Edited to add...iTunes and Photos sharing....creating a "generic" Apple ID just for sharing a iTunes or iCloud Library between family members on multiple devices. Less of an issue these days with iTunes Home Sharing as you can port your shared iTunes library through a Apple TV which family can access or share folders with anyone using iCloud Photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 12:38 AM in response to HunterBD

I suspect it's for a variety of reasons beginning with folks creating an ID years ago for an iPod perhaps then forgetting their username or password when they bought a Mac later or believing somehow multiple IDs on any single device might somehow be more secure, etc. without realizing it offers nothing but pain and suffering down the road when they can't remember what device (or which service on any give device) uses which ID or worse yet, shared one of those IDs with a now-ex-spouse.

Edited to add...iTunes and Photos sharing....creating a "generic" Apple ID just for sharing a iTunes or iCloud Library between family members on multiple devices. Less of an issue these days with iTunes Home Sharing as you can port your shared iTunes library through a Apple TV which family can access or share folders with anyone using iCloud Photos.

Check all of your Apple IDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.