Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy all my iPhoto Album to an external HD to free up space for on my Mac

My Mac storage is almost used up with a large percentage taken up by my iPhoto Library. How can I copy all my iPhoto Album to an external HD?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 2:40 AM

To move your Photos 3.0 library to an external drive, follow the instructions in this support document:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The main points are -

• Make a current backup of your Mac, before you move the library, just to be safe.
  • The file system format of the external drive should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) and not case-sensitive.
  • Once the drive has the correct file system format, drag the library to the external drive.
  • Double click it in the new location to open it in Photos and test it thoroughly, before you delete the library from your system drive.
  • The drive should always be connected, before you launch Photos.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 2:40 AM in response to choo guan fred

To move your Photos 3.0 library to an external drive, follow the instructions in this support document:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The main points are -

• Make a current backup of your Mac, before you move the library, just to be safe.
  • The file system format of the external drive should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) and not case-sensitive.
  • Once the drive has the correct file system format, drag the library to the external drive.
  • Double click it in the new location to open it in Photos and test it thoroughly, before you delete the library from your system drive.
  • The drive should always be connected, before you launch Photos.

Mar 12, 2018 10:42 PM in response to choo guan fred

Depends

You can export the photos to the EHD adn delete them from iPhoto losing the edit history

Or you Can run your iPhoto Library on an external drive with no loss of capability but the EHD must always be available prior to launching iPhoto

What exactly is it you ae looking for -- and what version of iPhoto and of the OS are you using?

LN

Mar 13, 2018 1:28 AM in response to LarryHN

I am trying to copy my Photo Album in the iPhoto Library to an EHD to create more storage space for my Mac. My OS High Sierra is 10.13.3 and iPhoto is version 3.0

I can easily upload all to iCloud but I do not feel safe and therefore would like to copy it to an EHD.

I would appreciate if you can advise the steps to get it done.

Thanks Larry

How can I copy all my iPhoto Album to an external HD to free up space for on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.