Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra Finder Issues

Having issues using finder after update to High Sierra. Finder gets stuck grayed out as if I'm still in another application even though I've clicked on Finder, or Command+Tabbed back to Finder.

The Finder window will remain grayed out and the only thing I can do is move between files, but cannot open them using key commands or clicking. Only temporary fix I've found is to go to Force Quit and restart Finder. But that can last anywhere between one new click in Finder up to a whole day. It's random.

I'm up-to-date on the Apple updates, any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 9:14 AM

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" and enter

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Press Return.

Delete the plist file.

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset some Finder preferences the way you like them)

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 16, 2018 8:48 AM in response to macjack

Hey @macjack - it seems I've corrected the issue before I noticed your reply. And frankly I wiped the hard drive and factory reset it. I had been planning to do that soon anyway - so this just sped that up haha. This thing's been kickin' strong since mid 2015 so I figured it's time to give it a good wipe.

I appreciate your help!

High Sierra Finder Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.