Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra Finder Issues

Having issues using finder after update to High Sierra. Finder gets stuck grayed out as if I'm still in another application even though I've clicked on Finder, or Command+Tabbed back to Finder.

The Finder window will remain grayed out and the only thing I can do is move between files, but cannot open them using key commands or clicking. Only temporary fix I've found is to go to Force Quit and restart Finder. But that can last anywhere between one new click in Finder up to a whole day. It's random.

I'm up-to-date on the Apple updates, any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" and enter

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Press Return.

Delete the plist file.

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset some Finder preferences the way you like them)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Solved

Mar 13, 2018 9:14 AM in response to aross0531 In response to aross0531

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" and enter

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Press Return.

Delete the plist file.

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset some Finder preferences the way you like them)

Mar 13, 2018 9:14 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 13, 2018 9:13 AM in response to macjack In response to macjack

I did that and found 4 preference files when I went to do it:

User uploaded file

I deleted the 4, restarted and they're gone. Haven't seen the issue yet, but again it was sort of sporadic so we'll see. I'll reply back later or tomorrow if I see the problem again. Thanks @macjack

Mar 13, 2018 9:13 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 4:08 PM in response to aross0531 In response to aross0531

Please download and run EtreCheck, created by one of own colleagues here in ASC. It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

Mar 14, 2018 4:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:48 AM in response to macjack In response to macjack

Hey @macjack - it seems I've corrected the issue before I noticed your reply. And frankly I wiped the hard drive and factory reset it. I had been planning to do that soon anyway - so this just sped that up haha. This thing's been kickin' strong since mid 2015 so I figured it's time to give it a good wipe.

I appreciate your help!

Mar 16, 2018 8:48 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: aross0531

Question: High Sierra Finder Issues