Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won't connect to TV via HDMI

Hello,

I have a MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. I'm trying to get it to connect to an HD TV display via an HDMI cable and USB-C to HDMI adapter dongle. I've tried two different TV screens and two different cables, and still cannot get it to connect. My flatmate has also tried both TVs and cables with her MacBook Air and Thunderbolt adapter dongle, and hers also doesn't work.

When plugging in, absolutely nothing happens. The Macs don't detect the display, even when clicking 'Detect Displays' in the Display section of System Preferences, and the TVs detect no input signals. I've tried a PRAM reset and various different restart/connection orders.

Any ideas please? I've never had any Mac-to-external display issues in the past, but I can't figure this one out at all! Only thing I can think of is that the two cables are from the same manufacturer so may both be incompatible in some way . . . unfortunately haven't got another HDMI device that I can try (e.g. Playstation or Blu-ray player).

Thanks in advance. 🙂

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 8:33 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook won't connect to TV via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.