Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Compress/Backup a Library

I've been using a 4tb external SSD for all of my FCP X projects and I'm left with around 250gb of space. Is there a way to compress / .zip a Library within the drive to free up space and not lose anything or the quality?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

You are misunderstanding.

Generated files can be safely deleted and, depending on your usage of transcoded media, you may gain a LOT of space.

Generated files include optimized media, proxy media and render files.

They can always be REgenerated should the need arise.

Select a library in the browser, do File->Delete Generated Library Files and check all boxes. Watch the drive space miracle happen.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 13, 2018 4:35 PM in response to Justin Witz In response to Justin Witz

I have never tried that. Interesting!

My thoughts are that if the existing external is your only place where media and FCP X work is stored it’s time to get another drive that is for BACKUP purposes.

Once backed up successfully delete older Project/Libraries from you working external.

Drives and or drives docks are very affordable and saves your bacon in a crisis.

Al

Mar 13, 2018 4:35 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Alchroma In response to Alchroma

So this is my full backup. I have two other 2tb SSD's that I use for active editing and then I move it over to this 4tb drive. I'd rather not keep buying more drives unless it's truly necessary.

I zipped several libraries and it only decreases them by 2-4gb's, so not much help there.

Mar 14, 2018 10:01 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Mar 15, 2018 6:42 AM in response to Justin Witz In response to Justin Witz

You are misunderstanding.

Generated files can be safely deleted and, depending on your usage of transcoded media, you may gain a LOT of space.

Generated files include optimized media, proxy media and render files.

They can always be REgenerated should the need arise.

Select a library in the browser, do File->Delete Generated Library Files and check all boxes. Watch the drive space miracle happen.

Mar 15, 2018 6:42 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 14, 2018 4:53 PM in response to Justin Witz In response to Justin Witz

I performed this operation yesterday to my main working drive in a house cleaning operation.

Some Libraries yielded half or more space saved, others not so much depending on how and what was required on the various Projects.

As mentioned already, deleting render files is a safe operation and can re-rendered later if required.

Al

Mar 14, 2018 4:53 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 14, 2018 6:09 PM in response to Alchroma In response to Alchroma

I deleted everything on one Library and saw it drop from 82gb to 18.83 - this was a Library I was comfortable losing if I screwed anything up. Doing the rest now, I have a few that are 400 - 800gb's.

Just to confirm, we're selecting All under Delete Render Files, correct?

User uploaded file

Mar 14, 2018 6:09 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Justin Witz

Question: Compress/Backup a Library