Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 > iMac 2013 Target Display Mode

I've recently upgraded to a new MacBook Pro 15" (2017) which I'd like to connect via Target Display Mode to my 2013 27" iMac. While I've been able to successfully connect the iMac to a previous MacBook Pro, I have had no success doing so with the new one, using a mini-display to USB-C cable. I've seen a lot of threads that discuss this kind of connection but not with these 2 specific computers so I'm wondering if anyone who reads this might have any insight.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 6:56 AM

If it's a 2013 iMac, it needs Thunderbolt. If it worked with your old MacBook Pro, then it must have had Thunderbolt, and the cable also has to be Thunderbolt. What year was your old MacBook Pro? Where did you get the cable? Apple never sold Mini DisplayPort cables.

Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt look similar, but there will be a lightning bolt icon on Thunderbolt plugs and next to Thunderbolt ports.

https://support.apple.com/HT204592

iMac models you can use
as a display

Cable
you need

Port you need
on your other Mac

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)

iMac (Mid 2011-Mid 2014)

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 6:56 AM in response to mikenfer

If it's a 2013 iMac, it needs Thunderbolt. If it worked with your old MacBook Pro, then it must have had Thunderbolt, and the cable also has to be Thunderbolt. What year was your old MacBook Pro? Where did you get the cable? Apple never sold Mini DisplayPort cables.

Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt look similar, but there will be a lightning bolt icon on Thunderbolt plugs and next to Thunderbolt ports.

https://support.apple.com/HT204592

iMac models you can use
as a display

Cable
you need

Port you need
on your other Mac

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)

iMac (Mid 2011-Mid 2014)

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Mar 16, 2018 5:26 AM in response to mikenfer

How the brain can fool you, eh?

Use Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display

Target Display Mode 2011 & Later iMacs

Target Display Mode- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Not sure what interconnection cables will work with the new models. You may have better luck with the Apple adapter for mini-display or adapter for HDMI depending on which connection are available. Third-party cables may not work. Have you tried asking at your local Apple retailer?

MacBook Pro 2017 > iMac 2013 Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.