Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest network on airport extreme

Tried setting up guest network..created name and password..went to connect to network under wifi and it said underneath network name "no internet connection"..what am I doing wrong?

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 9:37 AM

Your provider has likely furnished you with a modem/router or gateway device. Unfortunately, this type of device will not allow the Guest Network feature to function correctly.

So, before we go any further, we need for you to confirm on the device that you call your "modem". What is the make and model number of this device?

The AirPort Extreme requires a simple modem. This type of modem will have only one Ethernet port.....something like the example below:

User uploaded file

If your "modem" has multiple Ethernet ports.....something like the example below.....the Guest Network function will not work correctly with this type of device.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 9:37 AM in response to Crawdaddy23

Your provider has likely furnished you with a modem/router or gateway device. Unfortunately, this type of device will not allow the Guest Network feature to function correctly.

So, before we go any further, we need for you to confirm on the device that you call your "modem". What is the make and model number of this device?

The AirPort Extreme requires a simple modem. This type of modem will have only one Ethernet port.....something like the example below:

User uploaded file

If your "modem" has multiple Ethernet ports.....something like the example below.....the Guest Network function will not work correctly with this type of device.

User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2018 7:33 AM in response to LaPastenague

The extreme is connected to my modem that was provided by internet provider by Ethernet. I've read that there is a box to select to enable guest network on the utility app but I'm not able to find that screen. I open the app select base station and then it shows me the network I created, guest network below that and then advanced settings none of which when I open give me the enable guest network box

Guest network on airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.