Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - no internet connection

I set up a guest network on my Airport Extreme, but there is no internet connection. The internet works just fine on the main network.

iMac, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 7, 2018 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 12:42 PM

The device that you call your "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway type of product that combines the functions of both a modem and router into the same package.

The correct setting for the AirPort Extreme with your modem/router or gateway is indeed Off (Bridge Mode), but unfortunately, the Guest Network feature will not work correctly when the AirPort Extreme is set up in Off (Bridge Mode). Kind of a Catch 22.

You need a simple modem with the AirPort Extreme if you want to enable the Guest Network feature. A simple modem will have only one Ethernet port, like the example that you see below:

User uploaded file

If Spectrum provided the Ubee modem/router or gateway to you, you might want to ask their support folks if it might be possible to configure the modem/router to operate only as a simple modem. Then, you would be able to enable the Guest Network feature on the AirPort Extreme and things will work correctly.

Another option....better in my opinion....might be to swap the Ubee modem/router or gateway that you have for a simple modem.

Yet another option would be to use the wireless function on the Ubee modem/router as your guest network.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 12:42 PM in response to MiKing

The device that you call your "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway type of product that combines the functions of both a modem and router into the same package.

The correct setting for the AirPort Extreme with your modem/router or gateway is indeed Off (Bridge Mode), but unfortunately, the Guest Network feature will not work correctly when the AirPort Extreme is set up in Off (Bridge Mode). Kind of a Catch 22.

You need a simple modem with the AirPort Extreme if you want to enable the Guest Network feature. A simple modem will have only one Ethernet port, like the example that you see below:

User uploaded file

If Spectrum provided the Ubee modem/router or gateway to you, you might want to ask their support folks if it might be possible to configure the modem/router to operate only as a simple modem. Then, you would be able to enable the Guest Network feature on the AirPort Extreme and things will work correctly.

Another option....better in my opinion....might be to swap the Ubee modem/router or gateway that you have for a simple modem.

Yet another option would be to use the wireless function on the Ubee modem/router as your guest network.

Oct 7, 2018 8:07 PM in response to MiKing

You may have the type of modem that requires that the AirPort Extreme be set up in Bridge Mode to work correctly.

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window

Click the Network tab

What is the setting that you see here for Router Mode?

If it is "Off (Bridge Mode)" the Guest Network will not work correctly with the type of modem that you have.

What is the make and model number of your modem?

Oct 8, 2018 11:01 AM in response to MiKing

Yes, Bridge Mode if Off.

If you are saying that the setting is Off (Bridge Mode).......then unfortunately, the Guest Network feature will not work correctly with the type of modem that you have.

You need a different type of modem......or.....in some cases you might be able to change the settings on the modem.

We will check again if you can provide the model number of your modem. We do not need MAC, Serial, Boot, Software, etc information......only the model number.

We have asked the forum moderators to remove the serial number and MAC information for security reasons.

Oct 8, 2018 1:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Umm, we are thinking along the same lines. When I discovered the Airport Extreme guest network had no internet connection, I set up the Airport Extreme main network as my guest, and reserved the Ubee network for my own use. I have an Airport Express in the guess room. Would there be a security reason to reverse this? The Ubee is connected to the iMac via ethernet, while the Extreme is connected to the Ubee.

BTW, thanks for deleting the identifying info from the Ubee modem/router.

Oct 8, 2018 2:01 PM in response to MiKing

Your guest network in the scenario you outlined has equal rights in the network. ie this is not true guest network which is going to allow internet access only.

There is not much you can do about it unless you are prepared to double NAT via the Airport Extreme and use guest network on the Extreme.. and even that is not immune to people discovering your local network.

It really depends on how seriously you need to isolate people on guest wireless whether the above is an issue or not.

Airport Extreme - no internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.