Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image capture is saving blank images from scanner

Hi, Ive been using image capture to scan some old printed photos from an Epson WF-7520 and after scanning quite few I noticed the last one was blank white. I checked back through the last 60 or so, and realized that quite a few were blank. It seems to be random, sometimes 2 or 3 in a row are blank, sometimes just 1. I tried to re-scan the last one, but it keeps coming out blank, despite looking OK in image capture. I have since tried re-scanning an earlier one and it won't scan either. mostly there are 2 or 3 photos on each page, and I scanned them all together ( image capture mostly detected, and selected & rotated them correctly). The image I've tried to re-scan several times i'm only selecting it to scan.

Some background:

I'm using a MacBookPro 9,1 running OS X.12.6 connected via Ethernet to my home network, The scanner is connected via wifi to the same network. I'm scanning to an external HD on a Mac mini running OSX 8.5 & Apple server.

A few months ago, I did a clean install of my Macbook pro to get rid of years of cruft ( I had been transferring from previous Macs for about 15 years). When I did that I only installed what I needed, ( and still worked) and didn't install the Epson software. I didn't seem necessary, everything work fine.

Things I've tried

I have restarted everything.

I installed the epson software that came on CD ( wouldn't actually install fully - too old?)

I downloaded latest software from epson and installed that. here http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp

They included a file which was labelled EPSON Scan Common Updater, which sounded likely, but its a "DMS" file with no file suffix and I couldn't open it. Looked that up and it appears to be an Amiga disc image?

I ran the epson software updater from that site, the epson software still won't run, and image capture still produces blanks.

Any ideas?

How can I use a "DMS" file ( I tried adding .dmg to it to see if that worked - no luck)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Graeme

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 1Tb SSD, 16GbRAM, 2.7GHz i7 mid2012

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 8:55 AM

Here is a link to an Epson WF 7520 page with drivers and software for your printer/ scanner.

Make sure the correct Operating System is selected in the drop down, and click all the + buttons to reveal the drivers etc available to you.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce- WF-7520/s/SPT_C11CB58201?review-filter=m…

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 8:55 AM in response to Graeme Edwards

Here is a link to an Epson WF 7520 page with drivers and software for your printer/ scanner.

Make sure the correct Operating System is selected in the drop down, and click all the + buttons to reveal the drivers etc available to you.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce- WF-7520/s/SPT_C11CB58201?review-filter=m…

Mar 19, 2018 2:49 AM in response to Graeme Edwards

So I am on Safari and when I click on the HTTP button it starts to download a zip file.

User uploaded file

From your screenshot you have selected to open the file as a text file, why, select save file, see what happens.

also if it scanned once then its not the Mac or software but might be your connection, can you connect the scanner using USB cable and see if it scans that way.

Mar 19, 2018 2:50 AM in response to dialabrain

Right.

So apparently its context sensitive.

so if you go here

http://tech.epson.com.au/

click Downloads, User Guides and Support Videos

then select multifunction printers in the left column and WF 7520 in the right column,

then click on Max OSX 10.12.x ( yeh I know misspelt)

it takes you here. (screenshot)

User uploaded file

The highlighted

EPSON Scan Common Updater

Mac OS X 10.11.x, Max OSX 10.12.x

looks like it might be it.

Now just looking at that I realise, it says its a zip file in the description, so I've added .zip to the downloaded file name, and it works. I've installed the patch, and will try again.

Mar 15, 2018 9:33 AM in response to Graeme Edwards

If you get the same results after installing the driver again, try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 19, 2018 5:39 AM in response to Graeme Edwards

So...

patch installed, restarted Mac, turned WF-7520 scanner off and back on.

tried to scan again ( new file name) - worked. Yay- maybe.

Tried the next scan, failed. Tried again, still failed, turned WF-7520 off and back on, quit image capture and restarted it, scan worked. tried next scan, failed, tried again, failed. quite image capture & restarted it, scan failed.

Looked back through previous photo albums I have been scanning, ( a lot) and there are no blank scans until the 6th March this year. I don't think its my setup, I think a software update has done this.

Maybe I'll try the epson scanning software tomorrow.

Does anyone know how I remove the "solved" flag from this, 'cause it isn't solved.

Mar 19, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Graeme Edwards

So if it is working in the print section then that might flag up that there is something going wrong in the scanner section.

If you have have more than one Mac or PC I would test the scanner/ printer with each one, and try each one over WiFi and direct cabled connection to eliminate that as well. Go through any combination of set ups you can think of until you find where the error is.

image capture is saving blank images from scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.