Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble connecting to wifi

Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting to wifi on my:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)

macOS Sierra

version 10.12.6

Processor 2.53 HGz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

A message "The wifi network requires a WPA2 password" appears after I've entered the password along with the message "invalid password"

All my other devices are connecting to the wifi with no problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Highstreetken

MacBook Pro, Version 10.12.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:41 AM

7 replies

Mar 15, 2018 11:43 AM in response to Highstreetken

Delete all network settings by entering in system preferences - networks and start from beginning .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Click on create .

User uploaded file

Type the network name , security as WPA2 personal and then enter your correct network password and click on ok , in DNS settings enter google server settings as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and click on ok . Come to first window and click on apply to join the network .The location is kept as automatic and no proxies are to be set , remember network this computer has joined is to be checked .

See this help also .

User uploaded file

First try this method , if it doesn't work in a very rarest situations by entering into system library > preferences > system configuration > network related files are to be deleted ( but its risky to delete these files ) but taking advice from apple support , the last step is reinstall the os How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2018 9:34 AM in response to Highstreetken

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wireless Diagnostics

Wi-FI connection drops

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

Mar 15, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Highstreetken

What is the make & model of your router that is providing the Wi-Fi network? Does your MacBook Pro (MBP) have any issues connecting to other Wi-Fi networks? Does your wireless network use a name (aka, SSID) that is greater than 16-characters or include spaces or special characters in it?

For this network, if you temporarily disable wireless security, can the MBP connect now? If so, try using the following (temporary) password for WPA2 security: 0123456789abcdef0123456789

Can it connect now?

Trouble connecting to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.