Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update a iwatch OS

I received a new iwatch for my birthday yesterday. I do not know what series it is. On the back, it says 7000series. My iPhone is a 5C with OS 10.3.3. When I try to pair the watch and phone, it starts checking for software update. It then says "watchOS 1.0 Your software is up to date" then the screen just locks up and won't do anything. All I can do is hit cancel and try again.

How do I get the OS software to update???

Apple Watch, watchOS 1.0

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 9:38 AM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2018 4:02 PM in response to livesp

If its running watchOS 1 its a First Generation Apple Watch. (no series, or series 0 though it was not named that). No other watch ever ran watchOS 1.

You can update it to watchOS 3, through the Watch App on your iPhone:.

Read here for how to update:

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support-

You won't be able to update to watchOS 4 since that requires an iPhone running iOS 11, and your iPhone 5c cannot run that.

Mar 16, 2018 6:23 PM in response to Stewie3G

Stewie3G wrote:

Your iPhone (5c) is not compatible. You need an iPhone 5s at least for any Apple Watch and an iPhone 6 in some cases.

No. The iPhone 5c is compatible with Apple Watches (first gen, series 1 and 2) running watchOS 1 through 3. It's only Apple Watches running WatchOS 4 that require iOS 11 and as such an iPhone 5s or later for all watches except the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS+Cellular which requires an iPhone 6 or later.

If the Apple Watch is still running watchOS 1 as explained by the OP, which only the first generation Apple Watch ever ran, then it should still work with an iPhone 5c, as it did before watchOS 4 was released.

You only need an iPhone 5s or later if the watch is already running watchOS 4 or you want to update to watchOS 4.

The real question is whether watchOS 3 is still available to update to. Since all watches support watchOS 4 at this point Apple may have removed watchOS 3 at this point and that may be the reason no watchOS update is available for the watch when paired with the iPhone 5c.

Mar 16, 2018 7:29 PM in response to Stewie3G

Older Watch versions running an older watchOS continue to work with the older iOS versions and iPhones they've -always worked with. Which include the iPhone 5c.

It's only now with watchOS 4 that an iPhone 5s or later is specifically required for it.

Old article about the first generation Apple Watch:

25 Things to Know About Apple Watch | PCMag.com

Apple Watch requires iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.2. or later.

How to update a iwatch OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.