Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help to locate music file

When I click ona song to play a message appears stating that file can not be found due to being deleted or moved. Then it asks do you want to locate the file?

I do not know how to find what I am looking for after I answer yes

null-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 8:16 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 16, 2018 8:47 AM in response to samfromshreveport

Hi, samfromshreveport.

I see that iTunes isn't able to locate a song on your Windows 10 PC and you're not sure what iTunes is asking for specifically. I'm happy to help.

If you see an exclamation point next to your items in iTunes -- iTunes needs the correct location of the song you'd like to play on your PC. Use the steps below to locate the song and provide iTunes the direction it needs.

Correct the media file path

Use these steps to help iTunes find the media file's correct location:

1. In iTunes on your Mac or PC, select the song, album, movie, or TV show that has the exclamation point next to it.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Get Info.
  3. When you see a message asking if you want to locate the file, click Locate.
    • If you know the file's location, point iTunes to it and try to play your content.
    • If you don’t know the file's location, search for it:
    • Mac: Press the Command ⌘ and Space keys on your keyboard, then type the movie title, app, song, album, or artist name.
    • Windows: Press the Windows key on your keyboard, then type the movie title, app, song, album, or artist name. If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, press the Control (Ctrl) and Escape (Esc) keys on your keyboard.
    • If the file is on an external or network drive, connect to the external drive or network volume.
    • If you find your items in the Trash or Recycle Bin, restore them to their previous location:
    • Mac: Control-click or right-click the item and choose Put Back.
    • Windows: Right-click the item and choose Restore.
  4. After you recover the file, use Get Info again to locate the file, then point iTunes to the correct location.

Cheers!

Need help to locate music file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.