Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini won't connect to the internet.

My Mac Mini won't connect with the internet. I can connect a different computer to the same ethernet connector and get the internet. Everything else seems to work on the Mac Mini. What would cause this?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:21 AM

several things can cause this:

if you are using a cable modem that give a DHCP address (call your ISP and ask if you don't know) then:

power down the modem

connect the mini directly to it

reboot the modem

if you can't get out to the internet make sure your internet settings on your >System Preferences/Network are correct (e.g. if your ISP uses DCHP then DHCP is what your network panel should be set to, if it's static you need to get the static info from the ISP)

If you get to the internet then power down the modem again

next

shut down your router

connect the modem to the router

power on the modem

power on the router

connect to your mini

if you can't something is up with your router or your network settings

in some cases going to >System Preferences/Network and deleting your ethernet settings and making a new one can get rid of some flakey mojo, just make sure you know what those settings are supposed to be before you hack them. I would suggest a screen shot just in case.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 9:21 AM in response to Bulldozier7

several things can cause this:

if you are using a cable modem that give a DHCP address (call your ISP and ask if you don't know) then:

power down the modem

connect the mini directly to it

reboot the modem

if you can't get out to the internet make sure your internet settings on your >System Preferences/Network are correct (e.g. if your ISP uses DCHP then DHCP is what your network panel should be set to, if it's static you need to get the static info from the ISP)

If you get to the internet then power down the modem again

next

shut down your router

connect the modem to the router

power on the modem

power on the router

connect to your mini

if you can't something is up with your router or your network settings

in some cases going to >System Preferences/Network and deleting your ethernet settings and making a new one can get rid of some flakey mojo, just make sure you know what those settings are supposed to be before you hack them. I would suggest a screen shot just in case.

User uploaded file

MacMini won't connect to the internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.