Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: target cannot be convertible to afps error in macos high sierra also it says helper tool crashed . How to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra ?

Startup got stuck in boot up screen freezes at 100% so I’m trying to reinstall Mac OS and got stuck with this error . Already my hard disk is in hfs .

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 16, 2018 11:59 AM in response to díñu In response to díñu

Is your drive an SSD or an HDD? When you run the installer for an HDD be sure to deselect an option to convert the drive from HFS+ to APFS. Is your startup volume a single drive or a RAID array? Also, see How to Skip Converting to APFS When Installing macOS High Sierra.

Mar 16, 2018 11:59 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:16 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Hi kappy,

Thanks for your comment

My hard disk is an SSD but I don’t want to convert it into APFS so I tried to skip that using command convert to APFS - - NO but when I run that command in my terminal in recovery mode I get helper tool crashed . How should I proceed?

Mar 16, 2018 8:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 8:31 PM in response to díñu In response to díñu

I don't think you succeeded in not converting your SSD to APFS but there was something wrong with the SSD, and it couldn't be converted. Now you will have to reformat your SSD. If you wish to have the SSD formatted HFS+ instead of APFS then see the following: How to Skip Converting to APFS When Installing macOS High Sierra and Is It Possible Not to Convert to APFS When Upgrading to High Sierra?.

Since you appear to have a functioning Recovery HD then you can do the following:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Mar 16, 2018 8:31 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 11:32 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Hi ,

Thanks again . I have some questions

1.whether all harddisk are compatible with Mac because by default they would come with windows formatted . Is formatting the newly bought hard disk to Mac OS extended journaled alone is enough and my hard disk is ready for backup.

2.How can I backup my files to new hard disk in recovery mode because I have only access to that and how can I do using terminal . Just use the cp command or is there any other way to do .can I perform write operation ? Because I used my friends hard disk but it was windows NTFS formatted when I tried to backup on it , it said read only file system.

3. After I have taken my backup , if I do clean erase and install High Sierra because I have High Sierra already now I cannot downgrade will it not ask me again to convert to APFS or it will just work fine when I erase and format it with hfs.

Thank you .

Mar 16, 2018 11:32 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 17, 2018 10:39 AM in response to díñu In response to díñu

1. All SATA drives are compatible. The vast majority of bare drives will come formatted for Windows. To use on the Mac they must be partitioned to use the GUID schema and be formatted Mac OS Extended, Journaled. In the case of an SSD, they can also be formatted APFS if you are running High Sierra.
  2. You cannot backup while in recovery mode unless you know how to use the Terminal and the command line. macOS cannot write to an NTFS formatted drive. It can only read from it.
  3. If you install High Sierra on to an SSD it will convert it to APFS if it is already formatted HFS+. You can opt not to format APFS: How to Skip Converting to APFS When Installing macOS High Sierra and Is It Possible Not to Convert to APFS When Upgrading to High Sierra?.

Mar 17, 2018 10:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 18, 2018 7:35 AM in response to díñu In response to díñu

My hard disk is an SSD but I don’t want to convert it into APFS

A boot SSD must be APFS. There is no opting out of that requirement.

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

I imagine there may be ways to subvert that posted on the internet, but they certainly are not guaranteed to work.

Mar 18, 2018 7:35 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: díñu

Question: target cannot be convertible to afps error in macos high sierra also it says helper tool crashed . How to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra ?