Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Issue with High Sierra

I have over 4 days attempted to upgrade High Sierra to Mojave on my Mid 2013 iMac.

1. First attempted installation went ok until login where the wheel just went around and around for at leats an hour.

2. Tried all recommended procedures. Namely reboot in safe mode, reboot and reset the PRAM etc. etc....

3. Reinstalled Mojave with the same result

4. Gave up and reinstalled the old system (High Sierra) and files from Time Machine.

5. Same result. High Sierra boots but freezes on login

6. Reboot in Recovery mode and ran First Aid in Disk Utility, follows day reboot to login. Same problem. Hangs at login with wheels going around and around...

7. Booted up with Techtool USB eDrive. Spent whole day cleaning system and defragging files.... Reboot to get the same problem

8. Current attempt is to reinstall for the system...

I have plenty on line whilst waiting for something positive to happen. Can anyone shed any positive light on this problem?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Nov 15, 2018 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2018 5:25 AM

Thanks. I have finally managed to get back to High Sierra OS with yet another (5th) reinstall.

I shall consider your idea of installing from an external HD or USB. Not quite sure how best to go about that but will give it careful thought before leaping into further wasted time. If you have any further thoughts and guidance they will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2018 5:25 AM in response to scion100

Thanks. I have finally managed to get back to High Sierra OS with yet another (5th) reinstall.

I shall consider your idea of installing from an external HD or USB. Not quite sure how best to go about that but will give it careful thought before leaping into further wasted time. If you have any further thoughts and guidance they will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Nov 16, 2018 7:29 AM in response to scion100

Whew, good to hear, but any idea why it took why it so many attempts?

Many would recommend Time Machine & an external drive, but if you can only afford one external drive, I' use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bottle clone...

Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

The advantages are that if something goes wrong you cn keep on working by booting from the external, or in a worst case scenario, move the external drive to another Mac to keep on going.

Upgrade Issue with High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.