Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 4.3 does not run on my new High Sierra 10.13.2 - No entry sign. How can I get it to work please?

Pages 4.3 does not run on my new High Sierra 10.13.2 - No entry sign. How can I get it to work please?

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 2:25 PM

14 replies

Mar 16, 2018 3:06 PM in response to Nickiwi

Hi Nicki,

By "no entry sign," do you mean the blinking (text) insertion point seen at the end of "point" in the image below?

User uploaded file

If so, it may mean that you have opened a Page layout template, which does not have a Text Layer into which text may be entered directly. Click the Text button in the toolbar to insert a Text box, or return to the Template Chooser and choose a (blank) Word processor template to create a word processor document where text is entered directly into the Text layer.

Regards,

Barry

PS: In newer versions of Pages (5 and 6), the Blank templates create wp documents, which include a Document Body—functionally similar to the Text Layer in version 4 and earlier.

B

Mar 17, 2018 4:42 PM in response to Nickiwi

Straying from the topic…

'By the way here is what I mean by a "no entry" sign' User uploaded file

Grouping the words with quotation marks removes ambiguity from the message.

"No entry" sign

is much clearer than

No entry sign.

The official ISO name for that symbol ( red ring with diagonal bar ) is

User uploaded file

The standard "No entry sign" is this one:

User uploaded file

(Generally not so fuzzy, though.)

Regards,

Barry

Mar 16, 2018 5:33 PM in response to Nickiwi

Reinstalling from the original retail disc is the way to go. It actually is a DVD, but that is irrelevant. Copying from a backup or other disc is fraught with problems. You are right that you need to update to 4.3. You can download the standalone updater from this page. It is a single updater to update all three iWork '09 apps to version x.3.

The v 9.3 updater for the retail disc was never available on the Mac App Store & the versions of the iWork '09 apps that were available on the Mac App Store are not the same as the DVD & the updater will not work on them. It has to do with the way the apps are installed. The Mac App Store versions are self-contained where the DVD versions install some pieces elsewhere in your Mac.

Mar 16, 2018 5:02 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks, but for reasons of compatibility with other users I need to be able to run Pages 4 sometimes.

I had installed it by just copying it across from an older Mac under Sierra, on which it runs well, but no doubt this method leaves out some necessary files. I'd love to know where I can find them!

So I went back to the original bought CDROM from Leopard days, copied the mpkg file to the disc of the new High Sierra machine and hey presto it installed fine.

And it works.

The only problem is it's version 4.0 and I had previously managed to update it to 4.3 before Apple pulled it from the App store. But I cannot now find any updates for it! Do you have a solution for that?

Mar 16, 2018 5:09 PM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry, but I never got that far - the "no entry" sign is like the road sign, a circle with a diagonal line across it, in front of the app's icon.

This was apparently because I just copied the app across from another machine and there must be files missing or something. I managed to reinstall pages 4.0 from the original disc's .mpkg file but now need to update it to 4.3.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.