Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I force audio out through lightning to a USB connection?

Just switched from an iPhone 6 which has a stereo-out jack to an iPhone X that does not. I had used the audio jack to connect to my car stereo and another USB to power the phone. Now that there's no audio out, I can only directly plug the usb cable directly from the phone to my car, but my car doesn't recognize the phone as a USB storage device since I don't have any songs loaded onto it yet. How do I force the audio to go out through the USB like it was a dock connector so I can listen to podcasts and streaming audio? When I tap the audio-out icon, the list doesn't include USB / dock connector out.

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 3:57 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2018 12:58 PM in response to seephtheruler

Not all car Bluetooth is the same. My car Bluetooths for calls but not for general audio. That and because Bluetooth is laggy are why I have continued to connect by aux out while charging from the USB, until getting the iPhone x. seriously, obviously the phone can and does send audio out through the lightning port but how do I force it to when connected by USB? In older iPhones there was a specific mode for it.

How do I force audio out through lightning to a USB connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.