Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had purchased iphone x in Apple store and for my surprise they charged me tax of 100 dollars

What's is this tax for?and is necessary to pay the tax for iphone x purchased in apple store in chicago does really apple charge tax on purchase of iphone in store i had purchased iphone x carrier free mobile 64gb silver colour on March 9 2018 could me please help.me out in this situation

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 2:05 PM

Your post certainly makes it sound like you are not planning to use this iPhone in the United States, the country where you purchased it.

That is a mistake. Your iPhone will very likely not be able to be serviced by Apple outside the United States.

11 replies

Mar 24, 2018 7:50 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

If you live in a state with a sales tax AND you obey the law by paying that tax, you can get a refund.

It depends upon the state. I know that is not the case with Minnesota. If you buy something that is taxed at a higher rate than MN you don't pay anything, otherwise you pay the difference between the tax you paid to the other state and what MN would have charged.

Mar 25, 2018 6:34 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

Philly_Phan wrote:

If you live in a state with a sales tax AND you obey the law by paying that tax, you can get a refund.

It depends upon the state. I know that is not the case with Minnesota. If you buy something that is taxed at a higher rate than MN you don't pay anything, otherwise you pay the difference between the tax you paid to the other state and what MN would have charged.

I stand corrected. That is the norm.

Mar 25, 2018 7:11 AM in response to vazeerfromhyderabad

Legally they have to charge sales tax for shipment to any state where they have a “physical presence”, if there is a sales tax. Not sure how it works for states where every city/county might charge its own supplemental sales tax.

Not sure how specific it gets for city/county sales taxes. If you’re taking it to another country you don’t need to worry about use tax if you bought it in a state without sales tax. But you might get hit for import duties.

Mar 25, 2018 9:11 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

You’re referring to the vendor responsibility. I’m referring to the taxpayer.

I'm referring to the taxpayer, judging by the username (with an Indian city) of the OP. If it's bought in the US to use overseas, there is no use tax per se, but there might be import duties. There's also no means to get a sales tax refund though in the United States like I remember from visiting Canada.

I had purchased iphone x in Apple store and for my surprise they charged me tax of 100 dollars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.