Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My notes didn't copy in a restore from iPad backup

I have an iPad Mini 4 (128 gb) with 110 notes that are listed as "On My iPad."

They are not on the cloud or anywhere else. Just on my iPad.

I bought another iPad Mini 4 (128 gb) to create an identical copy of the other one.

When I did a restore from the old iPad Mini 4, everything looked the same except the Notes.

There were 0 notes on the new iPad Mini 4.

So my questions are:

1. How do I get those 110 notes on my new iPad looking exactly how they look on the old one?

2. I thought having a backup would actually mean ***having a backup.*** So does this mean if my original iPad Mini had died or was stolen, they would've been lost forever even though I had multiple backups of the original iPad Mini?

3. If I have to use iCloud, how can I back up these notes to iCloud so I can access them on the other iPad? (The reason that I don't use iCloud for notes is because I share my Apple account and manage other iPads with several family members who are less technologically proficient, but I don't want them reading my notes!)

4. Is there a way to perhaps backup my notes on to Gmail? (I say this because they used to be a "Yahoo" option in the notes app).

--I've tried clicking the "Edit" button in notes to "Move All" files, but there are no options to move it anywhere else.

--There is no option for getting notes on the "file sharing" portion of iTunes when the iPad Mini is plugged in.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 6:04 AM

This is the problem with a lot of Apple’ s own apps for iOS.

They are not very comprehensive and are usually missing key features found in better third party paid apps.

You CAN save your notes to iCloud as a backup or using iCloud Drive and setup iCloud on the new iPad and then retrieve these notes from iCloud on the new iPad.

This is really the ONLY option for saving the actual Notes in the iOS Notes app, now.

With iTunes 12.7.X, I am not really sure what is backed up from the iPad any longer, as Apple removed saving the actual apps on your iPad, any longer in iTunes, so I am not sure if all of the data from Apple's own apps gets saved to iTunes any longer or they want you to use iCloud for all of their apps, now, for saving data.

I know third party app data is still saved to iTunes, but Apple is tricky with their own apps and where they allow the app data to be stored now.

They are really forcing users to use more of iCloud and all of the available iCloud services, now!

Another way to preserve notes in iOS Notes app is by paying for and installing a more comprehensive and more feature rich, third party notes app, in the iOS App Store, and by using the Share icon feature in the iOS Notes app to send/transfer copies of these notes into another notes app that also has support for “cloud” based, offsite server data storage services, like DropBox, BOX, One Drive, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive and similar data storage services, where you can set these other third party notes apps to backup copies of these notes automatically to the data storage services that are provided or can be setup with the third party notes app.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 6:04 AM in response to Lacie20

This is the problem with a lot of Apple’ s own apps for iOS.

They are not very comprehensive and are usually missing key features found in better third party paid apps.

You CAN save your notes to iCloud as a backup or using iCloud Drive and setup iCloud on the new iPad and then retrieve these notes from iCloud on the new iPad.

This is really the ONLY option for saving the actual Notes in the iOS Notes app, now.

With iTunes 12.7.X, I am not really sure what is backed up from the iPad any longer, as Apple removed saving the actual apps on your iPad, any longer in iTunes, so I am not sure if all of the data from Apple's own apps gets saved to iTunes any longer or they want you to use iCloud for all of their apps, now, for saving data.

I know third party app data is still saved to iTunes, but Apple is tricky with their own apps and where they allow the app data to be stored now.

They are really forcing users to use more of iCloud and all of the available iCloud services, now!

Another way to preserve notes in iOS Notes app is by paying for and installing a more comprehensive and more feature rich, third party notes app, in the iOS App Store, and by using the Share icon feature in the iOS Notes app to send/transfer copies of these notes into another notes app that also has support for “cloud” based, offsite server data storage services, like DropBox, BOX, One Drive, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive and similar data storage services, where you can set these other third party notes apps to backup copies of these notes automatically to the data storage services that are provided or can be setup with the third party notes app.

My notes didn't copy in a restore from iPad backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.