Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1*******@qq.com

So factory reset an old iPad to give to a family member.

All went well until "Activation Lock" screen came up and couldn't proceed as it would not accept the Apple ID that was first used with iPad.

Tried via iTunes and got this:

User uploaded file

Searched online and found this has happened to a lot of people, but never found any way around it apart from going back to Apple with the receipt to prove it's mine.

I bought this in 2013 from a big box store, sealed, brand new, never ever changed the Apple ID and now it's giving me a weird email.

Have long since thrown out the receipt.... really don't expect this to be happening.

Surely Apple have the serial number logged against the sale? They do with the new iMac I recently bought (that's how I logged in for support) so can this be done for the iPad (although can't get into it to get serial number!!)

Any help greatly appreciated.

iOS 11

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 4:30 AM

This is not a paid Apple support problem. You should be able to get general advice from this link (towards the botton, Contact).

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201407

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 18, 2018 1:16 AM in response to Duchy777

Hello Duchy777,

This is Apples formal guide about activation locks. My guess is that you have seen it.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

The point is, activation locks are protection against 'other' people having access to the phone's contents in the case of loss or theft. Apple would not know the history of your phone, hence the need for documentary proof.

Mar 18, 2018 1:23 AM in response to seventy one

Hi 71, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had seen this and I went to iCloud and removed the iPad from the device list.

Doesn't make any difference because for some reason Apple think this iPad was set up with a QQ.com email address, when I know very well it wasn't.

Some have said it's been hacked, but the account is fine.... no money missing, no new apps etc. so that hasn't been hacked as far as I can see. Just don't know where this email has come from or why.... iPad now bricked.

Mar 18, 2018 3:43 AM in response to Duchy777

The problem here is where you bought it. If you had bought from an Apple store, the serial number would have appeared o the receipt,( though I can see that is now irrelevant). From a big box store, I doubt after 5 years it would be possible to trace.

I suggest you go to 'Contact Support' and follow the instructions through to a point where you can get one to one phone contact. And ask their advice.

Mar 18, 2018 3:47 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks, found the serial number by using an app called ReiBoot which takes it back to the old fashioned "recovery mode". Restored using this but it still gets blocked with this fake email address.

There is a lesson here.... do not EVER lose an Apple device receipt or you could end up shafted later on - this is a hacking issue as far as i can see, also an Apple one as it has suddenly decided our iPad was set up with this intruder email, not the one we've been using for many years.

Might as well use it as a chopping board now.....

Mar 18, 2018 4:18 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks again 71, I'll try to contact them (though no devices less than three months old now so won't get free telephone support any more!)

Thought I'd made some progress by disabling wifi and setting up by connecting to iTunes.... but says can't get activation info from it, and to re-insert the sim card (which will be difficult as it's a wi-fi only model!)

Cheers

1*******@qq.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.