Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive lock in the re-instal process

Hi there,

I checked many forum and I can't fund an answer to my problem.

I did a reset of my Mc Sierra. After been to "Disk Utility", "Erase"(first partition on the top). Then I went back to "macOS Utilities" Press "Reinstall macOS", agree to the therms.

The first time I been there I had two hard drive, one was could not select it, and the second one "OS X Base System" could not selecting it "This Disk is locked".

Following some forum steps, but i wasn't able to unlock it.

What can I do?

Thank you for your help!

Christian

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 3:41 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2018 6:00 AM in response to Stian bis

You said you did a "reset". That usually means erasing the hard drive and reinstalling from scratch, is that what you're trying to do? To erase the hard drive you'll need to boot into recovery by holding Command-R at start up and run Disk Utility from recovery. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Lose your old windows habits, Mac OS doesn't need the same kind of maintenance that windows does. Keep it up to date, don't use third party maintenance or cleaning utilities, don't use anti virus software or any other kind of protection and above all use common sense computing practices and you'll be fine.

Hard Drive lock in the re-instal process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.