Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Superdrive?

I've just read the article about using the Apple Superdrive on non-supported Macs.

Will the method described work on my 2008 iMac if it's internal drive pack up?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 5:58 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2018 8:20 AM in response to makey

Well the first thing is OS X Daily has nothing to do with Apple. They are just a site with Apple tips etc.

As far as if it will work on your 2008 iMac, as the article states…

This should work to enable an Apple External SuperDrive to function as expected on a Mac which is otherwise not supported, but your results may vary.

So it's possible but maybe not. You can only try. That's why they recommend backing up first.

Mar 18, 2018 8:24 AM in response to makey

I have a 2009 MacBook that I have tried to attach my SuperDrive to, and I didn't go way out of my way to try things, but I did plug it in and when I did, it said that it wasn't supported. However, on this same computer, I did try a Dell External DVD/CD drive and it picked up on it and worked flawlessly. That being said, I'm not sure how much your set on the Apple SuperDrive, but if you already have one, I would suggest trying it, if not, then try other ones as they will work.

Apple Superdrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.