Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Circle with a slash on MBP startup

I have a mid2012 13" MacBook Pro when I start it it has a circle with a slash through it. I have tested the the hard drive and its ok. I installed two different brand new solid state hard drives into it. After installing the OS on them I get the same circle with the slash through it. I took a hard drive cable from another mid-2012 MacBook Pro and I get the same results. I swapped the hard drive cable on the non-working MacBook Pro to another laptop and it worked great.

Since I know the hard drives and hard drive cables are good what do you think is causing my problem?

Thank you for looking.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 11:00 AM

Prohibitory symbol

User uploaded file

When you see a circle with a slash symbol instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a valid System Folder to start up from.

If you're using your Mac at a school or business, it might be trying to start from the wrong version of macOS. Contact your IT department for more help.

If this is your personal Mac, try reinstalling macOS using macOS recovery.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2018 11:00 AM in response to brainwave1989

Prohibitory symbol

User uploaded file

When you see a circle with a slash symbol instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a valid System Folder to start up from.

If you're using your Mac at a school or business, it might be trying to start from the wrong version of macOS. Contact your IT department for more help.

If this is your personal Mac, try reinstalling macOS using macOS recovery.

Circle with a slash on MBP startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.