Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is a passcode different from a password?

is a passcode different from a password? I have tried to sign in on a different Apple device, I put my name, password, got a code, then it asks foe my passcode.....which I not sure what to do, but it isn't the password or code and it is threatening to lock me out...please help

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 8:58 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2018 9:03 AM in response to mikefromthatcham

There are lots of different codes that can come into play when signing into an iOS device. Depends on what you are doing and where.

Are you certain that you weren't being asked for a Verification Code?

In order for us to help you, we need the exact set of steps you followed, and the exact messages you encountered when you took those steps. We need the exact text of the messages.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 19, 2018 9:07 AM in response to gail from maine

Thanks Gail. I have an iPhone and I want to add my iPad to my account to have multiple device on my account. I went on to my ipad, removed the previous Apple ID (which was a company one), then added my own Apple ID and password. I was then sent a verification code which I added, but then I was asked for a passcode, which is where I am stuck. Regards

Mar 19, 2018 9:08 AM in response to gail from maine

I am not the originator of the question, but mine is similar. I have a new iPad which is set up and working. I thought I had lost the old iPad but have now found it and would like to have a spare to use, but when I start it up, it asks for a passcode right after the hello screen. The previous passcode and current password do not seem to work (and we may have cleared it when I purchased the new one, thinking it was lost). Is there any option besides a restoration? And if I restore the old iPad and wipe it, is there a chance the data on my new iPad might be affected? Thanks for your help.

Mar 19, 2018 9:21 AM in response to alicefromwatkinsville

alicefromwatkinsville wrote:

I am not the originator of the question, but mine is similar. I have a new iPad which is set up and working. I thought I had lost the old iPad but have now found it and would like to have a spare to use, but when I start it up, it asks for a passcode right after the hello screen. The previous passcode and current password do not seem to work (and we may have cleared it when I purchased the new one, thinking it was lost). Is there any option besides a restoration? And if I restore the old iPad and wipe it, is there a chance the data on my new iPad might be affected? Thanks for your help.

The passcode it is asking for in your situation sounds like the Activation Lock passcode. Depending on what actions you took at that time, the easiest way to get the old iPad into working order again, may be to go to the Find My iPhone app, sign in with the Apple/iCloud ID that was signed into it at the time it was stolen, click on the device, and erase it from there.

You could then set it back up by restoring it from a backup of your current iPad.

Cheers,

GB

is a passcode different from a password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.