Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme reset problems

I cannot re-set my AirPort Extreme. Internet provider says my router is not responding and to perform a re-set to return to factory settings. I used pen and a paper clip but the green light stays lit, it does not flash to indicate re-set was successful. Provider has given me a new dual modem/router but I would still like to know what is wrong with my AirPort Extreme (purchased 6-7 yrs ago).

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 10:14 PM

Look on the base for the actual model number. Either on the first line molded into the rubber or later one on the paper label.

It could be A1354 which is a Gen4 or it could be A1408 which is Gen5.. most likely it is the Gen5 ..

Did you try from the airport utility?

Click the airport extreme icon and then top menu and select restore default settings.

User uploaded file

No luck then it is simply too old.. 5 years is a good lifespan for domestic routers running 24/7

But if it is a gen5 a repair for the dedicated DIYer could be possible.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2018 10:14 PM in response to k13

Look on the base for the actual model number. Either on the first line molded into the rubber or later one on the paper label.

It could be A1354 which is a Gen4 or it could be A1408 which is Gen5.. most likely it is the Gen5 ..

Did you try from the airport utility?

Click the airport extreme icon and then top menu and select restore default settings.

User uploaded file

No luck then it is simply too old.. 5 years is a good lifespan for domestic routers running 24/7

But if it is a gen5 a repair for the dedicated DIYer could be possible.

Mar 20, 2018 5:54 AM in response to k13

Please follow these instructions carefully

• Power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run for a few minutes
  • Hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Extreme for 7-8 seconds and then release
  • Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart and display a slow, blinking amber light status

If you try this a few times, and the AirPort will not reset, then it is defective and will need to be replaced

Mar 19, 2018 10:14 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hey thanks for the info. Model is A1408 and good to know your advice about the lifespan. My internet provider said the same thing but I wasn't sure if it was just something to say to convince me to go with their dual modem/router. They provided a new one (no charge) so I'm hooked up using that. I tried to access AirPort Extreme info on my Mac but it wasn't detecting the router at all. I'll box it up and set aside. Thanks again.

Mar 20, 2018 12:52 AM in response to k13

There are a couple of known problems.

Power supply could be bad.. but that is pretty rare.. Apple use first rate supplies.

However if you have a 12v 2A supply with standard 2.5mm dc tip you can try it.. (actually up to 16v laptop supply is perfect).

But the issue has been fixed by oven baking the board.. the details for the equivalent model TC are here.

Gen4 A1409 issues - LaPastenague

This has worked also for the very similar A1408 Extreme.. Apple board manufacturer doesn't bake the boards correctly so it needs a solder reflow. This has worked for the A1409 for lots of people and is very successful in that baked boards seem to last .. not like some video and main boards which give out after a few weeks or months.

AirPort Extreme reset problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.