Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac only loading so far

When I turn on my iMac, the screen turns on and it makes the usual chime. The loading bar starts to move, but when it gets about half way it gets slower and slower, then the computer turns off completely.

P.S. Might be worth mentioning that it is a boot-camped iMac and the Windows partition is working fine.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 8:19 AM

I ended up completely formatting the macOS partition of the hard drive (it was using the old filesystem so I changed it to the new APFS). I re-installed macOS onto the partition and set up the computer from scratch. Luckily I had a backup of the hard drive on another backup disk and also in the cloud, so no data was lost. A bit of hassle but everything seems to be normal now. Thank you for all the suggestions. Ben

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2018 8:19 AM in response to fernb002

I ended up completely formatting the macOS partition of the hard drive (it was using the old filesystem so I changed it to the new APFS). I re-installed macOS onto the partition and set up the computer from scratch. Luckily I had a backup of the hard drive on another backup disk and also in the cloud, so no data was lost. A bit of hassle but everything seems to be normal now. Thank you for all the suggestions. Ben

iMac only loading so far

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.