Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup never finishes after macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update

Hello,

My Time Machine backup never finishes after upgrading to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

It used to finish in less than 1 hour. I only do backups once every 2 weeks and my external drive is only connected to my Macbook Pro when I want to run the Time Machine backup.

My external drive has 500GB and about 30GB free. No partitions.

Now, when I do the same backup, I started at around 8PM and in the next morning at 9AM it was still running.

Going to Time Machine preferences, it shows it has backed up only 173MB of 54GB, and it's calculating the estimated time to complete the backup but it never finishes calculating.

This issue has been consistent as it is happening every time I want to use the Time Machine backup.

I searched for a solution for this, but couldn't find any. Hopefully, someone knows how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 6:08 AM

It can be frustrating to see Time Machine doing apparently nothing for a very long time, but overnight might not be enough to draw any conclusions. It's not unusual for TM to take a long time after a macOS update, and especially after having the TM backup disk unavailable for more than ten days. 13 hours with no apparent progress seems a bit excessive though.

If that's your only backup disk, consider purchasing an additional one. Since any drive can fail at any time, having one and only one backup lacks sufficient redundancy for a robust backup strategy. If you had another one, for example, you could compare its performance to the other to help determine when it should be replaced.

For fundamental troubleshooting references please read If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support and Time Machine troubleshooting - Apple Support.

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

• Troubleshooting can be time-consuming but here are some steps that might help identify or correct common problems.
  • Extracting Time Machine log activity may or may not yield useful data, but if you are interested those instructions follow below. It might be just the beginning of troubleshooting efforts that are likely to take some time. Otherwise, you can skip this section and go right to the "reconnect" procedure below it.

To extract potentially relevant Time Machine activity from log consider using the following shell script:

clear; printf '\e[3J' && log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --last 24h | grep -F 'eMac' | grep -Fv 'etat' | awk -F']' '{print substr($0,1,19), $NF}'

Copy (triple-click to select the entire line) and Paste that line in a Terminal window. The Terminal app is in your Mac's Utilities folder.

It extracts Time Machine activity logged during the previous 24 hours. To change that time period change that value. If Time Machine is running there is no need to interrupt TM to use it. Be advised that log is fairly resource-intensive, and if you are using a portable Mac it will consume a lot of battery power as it runs.

log will need a few moments to extract the Time Machine log data. Wait for it to finish. It is normal for its results to include various "errors" and "failures" and none of them are necessarily an indication of anything wrong.

Copy (Edit > Select All and then Copy) and Paste that Terminal window's contents in a reply to this Discussion. Please omit or obscure any information that you may consider personal.

Quit the Terminal app when you're finished with it.

The following technique can be used to "reconnect" to the backup disk. It will not affect the existing backup history in any way.

Open Time Machine's Preferences and de-select the Back Up Automatically checkbox. Make sure no backups are in progress, otherwise you should wait for it to finish or terminate.

If the backup disk is directly connected to the Mac, disconnect it: drag its icon to the Trash, wait for it to disappear from the Desktop, and then physically disconnect it from the Mac.

If its icon does not appear on the Desktop, select External Disks in the Finder menu > Preferences... > General. You can de-select it later.

Then, click the "Select Disk..." button, select the backup disk, then Remove Disk, then Stop Using This Disk.

If you designated more than one backup destination, the "Select Disk..." button is replaced by an "Add or Remove Backup Disk..." option. You have to scroll through the list of backup disks for that option to become visible.

This will not affect any existing backups.

Reconnect the backup disk to the Mac, power it on if required, and wait for its icon to appear on the Desktop.

Then, Select Disk... again in Time Machine's Preferences. Re-select the same one under Available Disks, then Use Disk. If the backup is on a network (TC or AEBS), you will be prompted for the password you provided for that disk in AirPort Utility.

"Waiting to complete first backup" will appear, which means it won't do anything until the next scheduled backup. Despite the implication of that message, it does not mean it needs to create a completely new backup, as if it's creating a brand new one. Your existing backups will still be available.

If you don't want to wait that long, select Back Up Now.

A Notification may appear if your source volume is encrypted and the backup volume is not. That's normal.

Re-select Back Up Automatically. The "Preparing Backup..." status message will remain for a long time. Eventually, "Backing up xxx of yyy" will appear, but those values will not be accurate, nor will the "Estimated time remaining" in Time Machine's Preferences. Just ignore it. It may take a few hours even if your Mac is not allowed to sleep. Time Machine will also pause or become slow if you use your Mac for tasks it considers a higher priority.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 6:08 AM in response to irq_neo

It can be frustrating to see Time Machine doing apparently nothing for a very long time, but overnight might not be enough to draw any conclusions. It's not unusual for TM to take a long time after a macOS update, and especially after having the TM backup disk unavailable for more than ten days. 13 hours with no apparent progress seems a bit excessive though.

If that's your only backup disk, consider purchasing an additional one. Since any drive can fail at any time, having one and only one backup lacks sufficient redundancy for a robust backup strategy. If you had another one, for example, you could compare its performance to the other to help determine when it should be replaced.

For fundamental troubleshooting references please read If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support and Time Machine troubleshooting - Apple Support.

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do.

• Troubleshooting can be time-consuming but here are some steps that might help identify or correct common problems.
  • Extracting Time Machine log activity may or may not yield useful data, but if you are interested those instructions follow below. It might be just the beginning of troubleshooting efforts that are likely to take some time. Otherwise, you can skip this section and go right to the "reconnect" procedure below it.

To extract potentially relevant Time Machine activity from log consider using the following shell script:

clear; printf '\e[3J' && log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --last 24h | grep -F 'eMac' | grep -Fv 'etat' | awk -F']' '{print substr($0,1,19), $NF}'

Copy (triple-click to select the entire line) and Paste that line in a Terminal window. The Terminal app is in your Mac's Utilities folder.

It extracts Time Machine activity logged during the previous 24 hours. To change that time period change that value. If Time Machine is running there is no need to interrupt TM to use it. Be advised that log is fairly resource-intensive, and if you are using a portable Mac it will consume a lot of battery power as it runs.

log will need a few moments to extract the Time Machine log data. Wait for it to finish. It is normal for its results to include various "errors" and "failures" and none of them are necessarily an indication of anything wrong.

Copy (Edit > Select All and then Copy) and Paste that Terminal window's contents in a reply to this Discussion. Please omit or obscure any information that you may consider personal.

Quit the Terminal app when you're finished with it.

The following technique can be used to "reconnect" to the backup disk. It will not affect the existing backup history in any way.

Open Time Machine's Preferences and de-select the Back Up Automatically checkbox. Make sure no backups are in progress, otherwise you should wait for it to finish or terminate.

If the backup disk is directly connected to the Mac, disconnect it: drag its icon to the Trash, wait for it to disappear from the Desktop, and then physically disconnect it from the Mac.

If its icon does not appear on the Desktop, select External Disks in the Finder menu > Preferences... > General. You can de-select it later.

Then, click the "Select Disk..." button, select the backup disk, then Remove Disk, then Stop Using This Disk.

If you designated more than one backup destination, the "Select Disk..." button is replaced by an "Add or Remove Backup Disk..." option. You have to scroll through the list of backup disks for that option to become visible.

This will not affect any existing backups.

Reconnect the backup disk to the Mac, power it on if required, and wait for its icon to appear on the Desktop.

Then, Select Disk... again in Time Machine's Preferences. Re-select the same one under Available Disks, then Use Disk. If the backup is on a network (TC or AEBS), you will be prompted for the password you provided for that disk in AirPort Utility.

"Waiting to complete first backup" will appear, which means it won't do anything until the next scheduled backup. Despite the implication of that message, it does not mean it needs to create a completely new backup, as if it's creating a brand new one. Your existing backups will still be available.

If you don't want to wait that long, select Back Up Now.

A Notification may appear if your source volume is encrypted and the backup volume is not. That's normal.

Re-select Back Up Automatically. The "Preparing Backup..." status message will remain for a long time. Eventually, "Backing up xxx of yyy" will appear, but those values will not be accurate, nor will the "Estimated time remaining" in Time Machine's Preferences. Just ignore it. It may take a few hours even if your Mac is not allowed to sleep. Time Machine will also pause or become slow if you use your Mac for tasks it considers a higher priority.

Mar 22, 2018 6:30 AM in response to John Galt

I resolved my TimeMachine backup issue by formatting my external storage and performing a new (first) TimeMachine backup.

What made me do that?

I ran 'First Aid' from Disk Utility on my Macbook Pro internal SSD and on my external backup drive. The mac was fine, but the 'First Aid' couldn't finish on the external drive.

I already made some file changes and did a second backup. TimeMachine is working as it supposed to.

I'm able to see TimeMachine logs by running 'sudo log show | grep com.apple.TimeMachine'. I'm also able to see systems logs by opening the 'console' app.

I didn't find anything that indicates corrupted files on my internal SSD.

Mar 21, 2018 6:37 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John. That's a very good answer and steps.

I'm doing the "reconnect" technique now, and I will post here the results. The backup is in "preparing backup..." state right now.

It looks like my log file is corrupted. When I tried to check the logs by using the command you posted I got "log: Could not open local log store: The log archive format is corrupt and cannot be read"

I also tried with the 'sudo' command to rule out permissions.

Do you know the location of this log file? Perhaps I could delete this file to have a new one created?

Mar 21, 2018 6:49 AM in response to irq_neo

That's a bad sign. TM's problems can be due to corruption of either the source or backup volume, and the inability to examine its logs will hinder troubleshooting.

The log file is compressed, and requires using macOS's new log command to extract. It's not as simple as it used to be. The fact it appears to be corrupted tends to indicate the problem lies with the source volume.

You could boot macOS Recovery and use Disk Utility's First Aid feature to attempt a "repair" but just be advised that DU is neither definitive nor permanent. Nothing is, including SMART utilities. You can use it, and if you're lucky it might conclusively identify a specific fault, but if it doesn't the disk might still be faulty anyway.

I think the first order of business would be to obtain an additional, redundant backup drive. If it backs up in a timely manner the source might be OK.

Time Machine Backup never finishes after macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.