Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Seagate HD problem with formating

I have bought new Seagate HD to use with time machine. When connected to laptop it mounts fine. I tried to setup TimeMachine on it, so OS asked me to format it (or prepare for TimeMachine). I clicked 'yes erase all data' and it tried to erase it. After 2 seconds error came up that drive could not be formatted, and it unmounted it. I could see it on DiskUtility so I have tried to format it there, and it happened again, regardless which file system I have chosen.

I have connected it to windows, I cold see it and format it. Now it is useless for data coping, unless I format NTFS on windows and than use it on mac.

What is this problem with formatting? This happened some time ago to one of my friends and he ended up using HD for manual data backup!!!

Seagate box says it is compatible with mac formats.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 2:33 PM

High sierra has a new "feature" where the default is to Hide the device-name. Using the icon in the top right, change the view to Device View, then do what MacJack said -- select the drive by its Hardware-name, and erase the entire drive.

If you have ever installed vendor-specific disk utilities, you will need to un-Install them before formatting. They are not useful on a mac, and can preclude re-initilaizing the drive.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 2:33 PM in response to errrata

High sierra has a new "feature" where the default is to Hide the device-name. Using the icon in the top right, change the view to Device View, then do what MacJack said -- select the drive by its Hardware-name, and erase the entire drive.

If you have ever installed vendor-specific disk utilities, you will need to un-Install them before formatting. They are not useful on a mac, and can preclude re-initilaizing the drive.

Mar 21, 2018 1:11 PM in response to errrata

errrata wrote:

I have also checked in using Seagate hard drive tool to examine HD and it says it performs fine, without problems.

Yes, but there is a problem if you cannot reformat it. I would contact Seagate and them you want to return it. They may also be able to point you to a viable solution. I've rarely heard of a new disk that could not be reformatted.

Mar 22, 2018 9:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

After talking to some people over the phone. I have solved this problem. Basically do not trust Seagate pre-installed software on the hard drive, when using it on Mac. You can use it for everything else but not TimeMachine.

Starting from scratch is the best option. Forget about formating it with TimeMachine, it will unmount drive and you will not be able to copy anything to it. It will give you error message that there is not enough space.

Format it to NTFS using Seagate Paragon software (or another windows machine disk manager-full format not quick NTFS). Delete all partitions, because it will come with 140MB partition pre-formed, which as you mentioned is useless. Format it to mac journalled with GUID map using Disk Utilities on mac and then use it on TimeMachine.

Here is the interesting thing-when using Seagate Paragon to format to mac journalled with GUID- DOES NOT WORK, YOU HAVE TO DO IT ON DISK UTILITIES (mac).

Works now. Thank You for all your help.

External Seagate HD problem with formating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.