Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show Hidden Messages

I was in my Messages app looking over my texts, I swiped right on one message and accidentally hit "Hide Alerts". I need alerts from that particular message sender and I cannot find how to "unhide" the alerts!

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 9:31 AM

Thanks for replying, coleygomey, and that additional info, it really helps! It does appear that you have turned off the Hide Alerts successfully, so your next step is to force close the Messages app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then test your issue again.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're still having this issue, your next step is to reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2018 9:31 AM in response to coleygomey

Thanks for replying, coleygomey, and that additional info, it really helps! It does appear that you have turned off the Hide Alerts successfully, so your next step is to force close the Messages app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then test your issue again.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're still having this issue, your next step is to reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Mar 24, 2018 9:31 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi becky_s22,

The messages I was getting were from my mail carrier - they text me when I get mail and also when I get packages. I accidentally hid alerts on the receiving mail messages, and I’m not getting them anymore. I still get alerts when packages are received, so I opened that and the Hide Alerts toggle is off - still not getting any mail received alerts. In the screenshots I provided you’ll see the last mail message I got was Monday

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 24, 2018 8:42 AM in response to coleygomey

Hello coleygomey,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you muted notifications for a certain conversation in the Messages app, and now you want to unmute this conversation. To do this, view the conversation in the Messages app, tap User uploaded file and then turn off the option to Hide Alerts.

Manage message notifications and privacy - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!

Show Hidden Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.