Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes immediately after opening on Mac

Hi,

I left my MAC on overnight and when I came back to it this morning, the webpage that had been up was frozen... I had to force close Safari... After that I restarted my Mac and attempted to open Safari, but it crashed as soon as it opened... I checked for updates but everything is showing up to date (High Sierra 10.13.3)... I shut down my computer, came back to it and started it up, and Safari still crashed immediately...

I looked online for solutions and I’ve cleared caches that I can get to - Safari doesn’t stay open long enough for me to work from menu inside Safari, and there hasn’t been any change... I’ve also tried to clear plugins, but not sure I’ve been able to clear all that I need to because the problem still exists...

This is the only Apple article I’ve been able to find If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues - Apple Support, but like I said I can’t access anything inside Safari so I haven’t been able to do anything with extensions...

Are there any other articles, or advice about what else I can try?

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 5:30 AM

Daisy,

The first thing I would try with those symptoms would be a Safe Mode start: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. Starting your Mac in safe mode does the following:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If your Mac has an issue that goes away when you start up in safe mode, you might be able to isolate the cause."

User uploaded file

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2018 5:30 AM in response to daisy_emm

Daisy,

The first thing I would try with those symptoms would be a Safe Mode start: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. Starting your Mac in safe mode does the following:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If your Mac has an issue that goes away when you start up in safe mode, you might be able to isolate the cause."

User uploaded file

Mar 24, 2018 4:36 PM in response to daisy_emm

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal user account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Safari crashes immediately after opening on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.