Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps saying it's out of memory...but it's not

I was using my iPhone 6S 64GB this morning to record a long video (two hours long).

Before beginning, I made sure I had plenty of extra space (more than 10GB). See attached screenshots. But throughout the recording, I would get persistent error messages that I was out of space. I went in and deleted some less-important videos and apps, then continued recording, but still got the errors after a few more minutes.

The iPhone would also hang a very long time while retrieving the info for the Settings > General > iPhone storage page.

I ran a few tests and was temporarily able to get it to record some more video, but it would always eventually give me the out of storage space error.

How can I diagnose and fix this problem -- at least -- get an accurate count of how much space is free on my phone, and then be able to record up to the limit of its storage? Right now, it's not doing that.

Thanks!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.6, 64GB

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 4:51 PM

You are dangerously close to being out of space. You don't really have 64GB on your phone to begin with. iOS takes up space as does temporary files, etc. It's no wonder you kept getting an out of memory notification while trying to take a 2 hour video. You need to start deleting things you don't need from your phone. You can delete mail, photos, apps, text messages, etc. you don't need.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2018 4:51 PM in response to David Das

You are dangerously close to being out of space. You don't really have 64GB on your phone to begin with. iOS takes up space as does temporary files, etc. It's no wonder you kept getting an out of memory notification while trying to take a 2 hour video. You need to start deleting things you don't need from your phone. You can delete mail, photos, apps, text messages, etc. you don't need.

iPhone keeps saying it's out of memory...but it's not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.